End Of The Year 2018 Bike Contest Entry Thread - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 23Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Garage
End Of The Year 2018 Bike Contest Entry Thread

Please post your bikes here to be entered in the End Of The Year 2018 Bike Contest!

To enter your Vulcan, all you need to do is tell us a little about it, and post some photo(s). And don't forget the story behind the bike because that can often turn the trick!

The winner will be chosen by our members' votes! A new voting thread will be created near the end of December.

The following information is needed. It's OK to put "stock" as the answer.

Year:
Model:
Eng size:
Pipes:
Seat:
Wheels:
Accessories:
And the story:

As long as you haven't won in the past year you can enter again.

Please post your entries in the this thread. This thread will be closed December 13th. We'll start a poll with the entries and the winner will be named and have their bike featured on the home page.

You must have accumulated 15 posts in order to enter a bike, or to discuss the bikes, or to vote. You will be able to view the bikes, but not discuss them, vote on them, or enter your own until you have accumulated 15 posts. This is the same number of posts that has been required in the past to vote.

Please note; You may be disqualified if you 'rally votes' from other members. This can include sending private messages asking for votes, posting new threads asking for forum members to vote for you, etc.

Please be respectful when discussing other members bikes. You may also be disqualified for unsportsmanlike comments about other bikes, which can include insults, demeaning comments, or demanding in open forums or PM's that others not vote for them or that they be disqualified. If you have a legitimate concern that someone is not competing fairly and should not be considered for voting, PM a moderator.

New Rule: There must be at least two bikes entered in the contest.

-----------------

P.S. We were doing "Bike of the Month" contests, but stopped because it just was not drawing enough interest. We had some months that people won by default because only they entered.

MN-Rider agreed to try a year end contest, but said if there is not much interest, then this is probably the last one.

Even if you don't win, it's cool to have people talk about your bike, and what your doing to it. So even if you just want some "feedback" on your scoot, this is time and place to get it.

----------------

P.S.S - The past winners have NOT always been spiffy custom bikes, although that does tend to help. The winners are usually those who tell the best "story".

I've seen totally stock bikes win, because they told us ABOUT the bike. Why did they buy it? What prompted THIS bike.

And if you post up a custom job, don't just post a picture and leave it at that. Did you buy it like that? Why? Did you (or the shop) design it like that? Why? What prompted it?

--

And of course, one of the key aspects is pictures. If you want us to discuss your bike, pictures and more pictures.

Pictures with you, your husband, your wife makes the story more personal. As long as they can pull it off, pictures of your wife in a bikini seems to get bonus points (ask me how I know).

(That was a bit sexist wasn't it? If your significant other is male, and he wants to pose in a bikini.. it would probably also generate a lot of discussion.)

--

Remember, this contest ends December 13th. You have until then to enter your bike. After that, this thread will be closed, and a voting thread/poll will be created.

And if we don't generate enough interest, this will be the last bike contest in a while. So lets see bikes

Yes, I'm a Chrome Whore.

2004 Vulcan 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 12:45 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS Cafe
Displacement/CC's: 650
Color: Black/Green/Silver
Garage
Purchased Feb 2018 - A 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan S Cafe

Year: 2016
Model: Kawasaki Vulcan S Cafe
Eng size: 650
Pipes: Stock
Seat: Corbin Solo with Backrest
Wheels: Stock
Accessories: Frame Sliders, Spiegler Brake Lines, Passenger Seat and foot-pegs, National Cycle Windshield, R&G Grill Guard, Cyclops Headlight, Dalco Tail Bag, Sickspeed Horn, Cell Mount, USB Charger and Safer Turn Brake module on order.
And the story: This is my 3rd bike. I had a Suzuki SV650S back in 2003 and enjoyed it for about 1 year. Like any new rider I put it down 3 times. Once going too fast on Lime Creek Road in Austin, Tx. I decided the bike was too much fun and I was going to either kill myself or have some really sore joints when I got older, so I sold it. Fast forward to 2008 when gas hit $4 a gallon. I bought a 2006 Suzuki Burgman 650. I loved the 52 mpg while flooring it all day. I loved that it was comfortable in stock configuration. I loved that it would still go 100+ mph even though it rattled above 95 mph. I hated that it weighed 605 pounds and had a large center. Maneuvering it without power was a pain! I rode that bike to and from work consistently for 4 years and kept it 2 more after that. My job had changed to where I was wearing suits and that's the only reason I stopped riding it. So fast forward to 2018, I wanted something cheap and fun, but not too fun. A lightweight cruiser was my target. So I shopped around and narrowed it down to the Honda Rebel 500 or the Kawasaki Vulcan S. After having the bad taste of 605 pounds from the scooter, I wanted something more like the 400 pounds of the SV650 in a cruiser format. No deals were to be had on the Rebel 500 since it was relatively new, but there were a ton of dealers trying to get rid of the 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan S's. So the extra power and low cost sold me. After buying it, I found this forum. It seemed like every time I googled how to do something on the bike, I landed here. Once the forum was found, the accessory buying started. I hope it stops soon, but hasn't yet. Just ordered a Smart Turn Brake module for safety reasons. This beast has some serious engine braking. It took a lot of accessories to make this bike a comfortable ride, but in the end I'm extremely happy with the purchase. I have a running spreadsheet and this "cheap bike" started at $6,450($5,291+TTL) and is now at $8,485.74 after accessories. That said, I feel like every accessory I've added has added to my safety and comfort. I love this ride and will probably keep it for a long time as a fair weather fun bike. Thanks for reading. Here's a picture of how the bike looked day 1 and how it looks today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3547-2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	225690   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5004.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	225692   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bikes.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	225722  
smedlin and MrM like this.

Last edited by metzroth; 11-25-2018 at 03:09 PM.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 09:31 PM

Year/Make/Model: 06 kawasaki vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: redandblack
Garage
My Bike
Year 2006
Classic
900cc
Pipes..stock debaffled stage 1
Wheels..stock spoked
Accessories.usb charger power point
Kuryakn grips
Skull mirrors
Cobra power flo intake
Cobra fi2000 tuner
Mustang seat
Custom speedometer faceplate
Bought the bike in Jan2018 after pestering my wife about it for a few weeks.I kept showing her pics of it from Craigslist intill she finally said go buy it.I haven't ridden since i was in my twenties,now im in my fifties, and have a younger brother that bought a bike in December 2017 and it woke up my need to ride again.so here she is..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181021_154522_1543116267963.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	225698   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181021_142838_1543116297639.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	225700   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180902_134031_1543116333010.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	225702   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181021_142728_1543116540315.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	225706   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181103_193656_1543116633584.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	225708  

smedlin likes this.

"Get on your bad motorscooter and ride" !!

Last edited by charles05176; 11-27-2018 at 01:46 PM.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 11:46 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1997 Vulcan LTD
Displacement/CC's: 500
Color: Black
Garage
1997 Vulcan 500LTD

Year: 1997
Model: EN500C aka LTD
Eng size: 500
Pipes: Stock
Seat: Custom mount from Vulcan Drifter
Wheels: Stock spoked front, Rear is cast unit from EN500A
Accessories:
SlipStreamer Enterprise II fairing, Victory Vegas handlebars with pullback risers, Vista Cruise, Cobra Lightbar with Spot driving lights, Drifter solo seat, Butty Buddy rear seat with custom mount swappable with Custom 4-gal AUX fuel tank, Pro-Tac driver's backrest, passenger backrest, ScottOiler automatic chain oiler, Viking saddlebags, F&S luggage rack, DDM Tuning HID Hi/Lo headlight, LED Rider driving lights, All other lights converted to LEDs, two Garmin GPS's, and many more...

And the story:

In the summer of '99 I was working at a motorcycle dealer that took this bike in on trade. It was clean and had less than 3,000 miles on it. Having always wanting a motorcycle, even from a very young age, I was drawn it. (or it was drawing me to itself I later learned) I was given permission to take it home a few times and somewhere along the way it spoke to me saying "Take me home, you won't regret it." Yes I really heard those words in my head. I worked a deal and took it home. The next month I took a cross-country trip to visit a friend. 600 miles one-way in one day on the completely stock bike. No windshield, No throttle lock, No backrest! Just my duffelbag that I had strapped to the pillion area and an open face helmet with bubble shield. I returned a few days later and immediately installed the Vista Cruise throttle lock that is still on it and upgrade the helmet to a full-face. In the spring of 2000 I rode it on its first Ironbutt ride. I put 24,000 miles on it in the first year. I loved that bike! During that first year I also added many creature comforts. A Memphis Shades windshield, saddlebags, highway pegs, then the driver's backrest.

In '02 I got married and started a new family. The first 100,000 miles were completed by the spring of '08. During the winter of '08 to the spring of '09 I gave the bike a complete frame-up restoration. Shortly after that I joined this motley group helping wherever I can.

Most of my riding to this point had within a hundred or so miles from home so I could be home at night. That all changed in '10 when I entered my first competitive IBA style Rally, the LOE1000. With this one event I was hooked on long distance riding and competition rallies. We have done done many other rallies since.

In '11 I was traveling through Tennessee after having ridden the Tail of the Dragon and a name for this fantastic beast I was riding came to me: Hidalgo! She (yes, she) is named after the movie horse of the same name. Also that same year I loaned Hidalgo to a rider in the IronButt Rally to the finish the event when his bike broke down.

In '14 I decided to get my then 10-year old son to riding with me. We built up our stamina to where we achieved over 1,000 miles in a day 2-up. Another time we did 2,000 miles in two days. This bike won't quit!

Just recently Hidalgo completed her 200,000'th mile.

During her tenure I have ridden a few other bikes thinking that I might get a different bike. But in the end I have grown very comfortable riding her and her only. For full disclosure she has a 1998 Vulcan 500LTD as stablemate but that one, Sioux, is destined for my riding partner, the aforementioned 10-year old who is 15 today. One more year and he can ride it.

Here's to many many more sMiles!

Ride Safe y'all!

Hidalgo fresh from her restoration

Gulf Coast

smedlin, MrM and Mark_M like this.

--
'Biker' Bill
'97 EN500LTD 'Hidalgo' 204,000+ miles so far
'98 EN500LTD 'Sioux' 19,000 miles so far
VROC #3833 IronButt #6024
Levelland, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bikerbill; 11-25-2018 at 12:51 AM.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 04:36 AM

1500 Classic,
14000 miles,
Barron BAK,
Road Burner pipes
Corba 2000.
National Cycle windsheild
ALC removable bags.
Seat stock
I bought the bike bone stock, from the original owner in May of 2017 with 5800 miles. Tried it out, it road like a dream compared to the 77 glide I had been riding for the last fifteen years, I bought it then and there. Love the bike you would never know it's 18 years old
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180423_110244946_HDR_1543142125925.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	225714  
smedlin likes this.

Last edited by 1500FI; 11-25-2018 at 05:04 AM.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:48 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2007 VN900 Custom (heavily modded)
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: plasma blue
Year: 2007
Size & model: 900 custom, really custom lil
Color: color matched replica of the original Plasma blue
Miles/km's, 23k miles or about 44k km's
Seat: Saddleman solo
Pipes: Vance & Hines, unknown model
Mods: oh god..... um where do I start?

Front end was all taken apart and chrome plated, rebuilt then reassembled. Front fender is the reaper, chin shroud installed, headlight is next to be replaced. Kurukyn hyper charger intake & K& N
Filter. Pipes are V & H, unknown model, I bought both the hyper charger and pipes used off of the local classifieds. After I wanted to retain the plasma blue paint, however Kawasaki will not issue replacement paint, so I had this medium metallic dome instead. Whole bike was repainted after being fully debadged.
Barons front pulley installed.
Seat: Saddleman solo, forward controls are by Mapam. Grips? Unknown. Fuel system, Cobra self learning. Self made license plate relocate kit, clear rail light over LED brake light.

Next mods: rear brake relocation kit, headlight, triple trees, mimic 18" 200 rear along with 61 tooth mimic rear pulley, lowering kit. Then it should be done. Just waiting on funds.

Well the story is, I sold my gorgeous Triumph sportbike when we lost our racetrack here in Calgary, Alberta. I was leaning heavily towards a cruiser. I had this gorgeous bone stock one for sale as a US import at a dealership for $5k years ago, so after I sold the Triumph I bought this bike site unseen. I was quite disappointed when I picked it up, it was gutless, and lacking a 6th gear. So my first mods were to give it far more power. I didnt stop there, I figured this could be a gorgeous bike.... so the aesthetic mods were next. So far I'm not done, but this bike has been an ultra budget build, you have no idea. Used aftermarket parts, just...... most expensive mods to date was the front end, that cost me $2k alone to get all that plating done. So far I'm into this bike for around $5k, with another $5-6k left to go. From there? I'll give it to my brother as he sure loves this bike too, I cant sell it as if I do? I'll get $0.20 on the dollar for all the mods and work I've put into it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170605_213205_513_1543202843995.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	225726   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180526_152817_1543202890108.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	225728  
smedlin and RastaPasta like this.

Last edited by GrahamM; 11-25-2018 at 10:18 PM.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Getting a good selection
MN-Rider likes this.

Yes, I'm a Chrome Whore.

2004 Vulcan 2000
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smedlin View Post
Getting a good selection
Nice to see we have a contest! Good job Smed!

Jeff, Twin Cities, MN

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1500FI View Post
I bought the bike bone stock, from the original owner in May of 2017 with 5800 miles. Tried it out, it road like a dream compared to the 77 glide I had been riding for the last fifteen years, I bought it then and there. Love the bike you would never know it's 18 years old
That's a really nice looking bike.

You got any more pictures of it?

Yes, I'm a Chrome Whore.

2004 Vulcan 2000
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamM View Post

Front end was all taken apart and chrome plated, rebuilt then reassembled. Front fender is the reaper, chin shroud installed, headlight is next to be replaced. Kurukyn hyper charger intake & K& N
Filter. Pipes are V & H, unknown model, I bought both the hyper charger and pipes used off of the local classifieds. After I wanted to retain the plasma blue paint, however Kawasaki will not issue replacement paint, so I had this medium metallic dome instead. Whole bike was repainted after being fully debadged.
Barons front pulley installed.
Seat: Saddleman solo, forward controls are by Mapam. Grips? Unknown. Fuel system, Cobra self learning. Self made license plate relocate kit, clear rail light over LED brake light.

Next mods: rear brake relocation kit, headlight, triple trees, mimic 18" 200 rear along with 61 tooth mimic rear pulley, lowering kit. Then it should be done. Just waiting on funds.

Sure does look good.

Gutless?? (should have gotten a V2k (snicker))

what's that decal say on the side of the tank?

Yes, I'm a Chrome Whore.

2004 Vulcan 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode