Running on 1 cylinder - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Running on 1 cylinder

Hey guys. First actual post here. I just got my bike about 2 months ago. Dealership sold it as is. It was my first bike. It runs. I can ride it. But it has some probably pretty severe issues. Mainly that it doesn’t have the power it should which could be pretty messy as a safety issue. I’m no mechanic but I know that the only thing that has temporarily fixed it is pulling the plugs off just a hair. But I can’t ride that way because the bike rattles them all the way off. Is it possible that it just needs new spark plugs? I literally haven’t even checked them, I don’t have the tools. If you think otherwise what would you suggest checking. I am halfway competent as a machinist I use tools, but I only have a consumers understanding of engines, let alone bikes engines if any different at all.

Thanks for any help, and again thanks for having me on the forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:41 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2006
Displacement/CC's: 750
Color: Red/black
Garage
See if they have the correct gap. If they need changing shell out a few more bucks and get Iridium units, P/N: DPR7EIX-9.

The dealership sold as is, huh? I'd also get a can of SeaFoam (damn near all auto parts store has it), and put some in the tank as per directions on the can. This stuff will go a long way towards cleaning up any gunk in the fuel system.

So what is it doing?: Sputtering, flat at a given rpm, cold front pipe, doesn't want to go above a certain rpm?

Here are but a few of the parts store where you can get stuff:

https://www.ronayers.com/

https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp...vn750a6f-parts

Chris Cochran
Retired USAF '74 to '95 AMMO
Engine guard with highway pegs
Luggage rack
GPS on RAM handlebar mount
MCCTs replaced ACCTs
Iridium plugs: DPR7EIX-9
Custom made seat (verrry comfortable)
LED turn signals with rear signals relocated
LED license plate holder
Hard mounted Viking saddlebags
Hard mounted fork tool bag (free from Viking)
LED running lights on custom light bar
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

I should have mentioned it isn’t always happening either. Like sometimes I start it up and everything is fine. And other times it just runs really rough. Being my first bike I have a hard time getting moving on the road as is. So going from a stop to moving is pretty hard to keep the bike on with 1 cylinder. It sputters mostly.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:05 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Color: Black / grey
Sorry I have a hard time believing a dealership would sell a bike that they haven't verified as a "good" bike.
What kind of dealership is it?

I'd return it - to many headaches ahead for, as you put it, someone that isnt mechanically ready for these headaches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1995 en500 stock with windshield - 30,000 miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

I knew the bike had issues. I still don’t think it’s major. And besides you can’t just return a bike that is sold as is. They literally never even got it checked when they bought it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:22 PM

If it’s running good one day and rough another day it could be something simple. I would change the plugs, and clean the carb/tune up If the bike still is riding rough then I would check your spark plug coils they might be starting to fail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode