New member new to cruiser / bagger - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lenny167

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

New member new to cruiser / bagger

Hi All, Just a quick intro
Lenny from NJ looking to get into the vaquero
just want to see what folks are doing mod wise, maint / troubleshooting tips, and common complaints before diving in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:23 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600D
Displacement/CC's: 1552
Color: Blue / Silver
Garage
Welcome. No complaints about my Vulcan 1600D. It took a bit to get the hang of slow speed turning, but there was improvement with practice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600D (purchased Aug, 2018).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny167 View Post
Hi All, Just a quick intro
Lenny from NJ looking to get into the vaquero
just want to see what folks are doing mod wise, maint / troubleshooting tips, and common complaints before diving in
Common complaints?

The way the engine is tuned from the factory. Solution: Send it to Ivan's Performance. (I haven't done this yet, but have yet to hear a single complaint)
I "fixed" the stock stereo - I got the Klockwerks stereo upgrade package.
No GPS: I mounted a Garmin 395LM to the handlebars (right mirror mount with U bolt).

I also added a 12" Klockwerks windscreen and leather lower covers, as well as highway pegs, the aux. lights from the Voyager, power port, and the iPod wiring harness.

For the initial service, make sure the belt tension is right (should be in owner's manual), and prepare for new tires after 6-9k (Mine went 9k before hitting the wear bars, others have been better or worse).

Other than that, enjoy the money you saved over buying a different bagger. Love my Vaquero!

-John

2016 Vaquero (mostly stock)
2005 VN800B Bobber (Blue Collar Bobbers kits)
1979 KZ650SR

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcs1776 View Post
Welcome. No complaints about my Vulcan 1600D. It took a bit to get the hang of slow speed turning, but there was improvement with practice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yeah...the vaquero is definitely way different than what I'm used to, but I said the same thing about my 2012 Connie
the heaviest bike I've owned and within a month it became second nature and rode it just like my Ninja 1000
I'm sure with time I'll get with the program of a laid back ride, which is he reason why I want to get into a bagger style bike
lightcs1776 likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraKhen99 View Post
Common complaints?

The way the engine is tuned from the factory. Solution: Send it to Ivan's Performance. (I haven't done this yet, but have yet to hear a single complaint)
I "fixed" the stock stereo - I got the Klockwerks stereo upgrade package.
No GPS: I mounted a Garmin 395LM to the handlebars (right mirror mount with U bolt).

I also added a 12" Klockwerks windscreen and leather lower covers, as well as highway pegs, the aux. lights from the Voyager, power port, and the iPod wiring harness.

For the initial service, make sure the belt tension is right (should be in owner's manual), and prepare for new tires after 6-9k (Mine went 9k before hitting the wear bars, others have been better or worse).

Other than that, enjoy the money you saved over buying a different bagger. Love my Vaquero!

-John

Long time sport / adventure bike rider, this is my first stab at a bagger and can't justify the Icon of American iron pricing... so yes If the Vaquero is a good fit I can take the savings and throw farckles at it..starting with the obligatory mods intake, exhaust, and Ivan's tune
and If I can't get along with then I can sell it, the later year model doesn't seem to last long in the used market, That was the original plan buy used as a tester, but I'm a ABS convert and the later ones just sell faster than I can make an appointment with the seller.... fortunately there exists leftover models
Glad Ivan got into re-flashing PCM's he's done wonders for my Gen2 FZ-1
Haven't read into the radio yet, seemed ok during my test ride? is just a general upgrade or is the stock just junk?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah...the vaquero is definitely way different than what I'm used to, but I said the same thing about my 2012 Connie
the heaviest bike I've owned and within a month it became second nature and rode it just like my Ninja 1000
I'm sure with time I'll get with the program of a laid back ride, which is he reason why I want to get into a bagger style bike
You'll be surprised what the big baggers can do. I have a friend who rides a Road Glide Ultra, and he LOVES the twisties. He and his wife ride 2-up on some tight corners, at pretty good speed. He drags floorboards on a regular basis.

Myself, I don't ride hard, but the Vaquero handles everything I can throw at it, and then some! Also, I unfortunately know it holds up well in a crash. Those frame and engine guards come in handy.

My point is, it'll handle laid-back riding, as well as somewhat attacking corners.

Quote:
Long time sport / adventure bike rider, this is my first stab at a bagger and can't justify the Icon of American iron pricing... so yes If the Vaquero is a good fit I can take the savings and throw farckles at it..starting with the obligatory mods intake, exhaust, and Ivan's tune
and If I can't get along with then I can sell it, the later year model doesn't seem to last long in the used market, That was the original plan buy used as a tester, but I'm a ABS convert and the later ones just sell faster than I can make an appointment with the seller.... fortunately there exists leftover models
Glad Ivan got into re-flashing PCM's he's done wonders for my Gen2 FZ-1
Haven't read into the radio yet, seemed ok during my test ride? is just a general upgrade or is the stock just junk?
The stock radio is OK, but I wanted more oomph from it, so I upgraded it. Sounds better now. The stock stereo is not as nice, for instance, as the Street Glide Special radio. There are a bunch of threads about how to upgrade it.

Definitely throw on the auxiliary driving lights - they make a HUGE difference at night!

-John

2016 Vaquero (mostly stock)
2005 VN800B Bobber (Blue Collar Bobbers kits)
1979 KZ650SR
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraKhen99 View Post
Also, I unfortunately know it holds up well in a crash. Those frame and engine guards come in handy.

My point is, it'll handle laid-back riding, as well as somewhat attacking corners.

Definitely throw on the auxiliary driving lights - they make a HUGE difference at night!

-John
Thought the guards was just for mounting pegs and aux lights or for whatever accessory, thought they looked flimsy, but good to know they served as intended.
Aux lights definitely and any other safety related mod is a must for me.
The bike doesn't change direction as quick as what I'm used to, but given the weight and length It's not so horrible, and I think it should get me through some emergency maneuvers if needed.... just got to get used to the flexing handle bar, when applying heavy bar inputs.... funny to see the little delay and flex between fork and bar when attempting quick transitions.
Thanks for your insight-
Lenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode