New member, Va - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

New member, Va

Hello everyone, new guy here. A little background on me: I started riding in Sept 2005 on my 2006 ZZR600, which I still own and enjoy, and I've recently decided that I want a cruiser since I've been commuting on my sportbike, which isn't as comfy or enjoyable as it could be. Basically the bike is better suited for the track, I keep getting myself in trouble on it, and with my growing lack of interest riding a sportbike on the street, I want a cruiser. Since I started on Kawasaki, I'd prefer to stick with it. I'm a big fan of choppers and bikes of that sort: fat rear wheel, big front wheel, loud lopey idle, and all that jazz. I figured I'd join up and learn about the life on a cruiser before I make an uninformed decision when the time comes to get one. I bought my ZZR in ignorance, and though I still love it, I don't want to repeat that.

I've ridden only one cruiser, a buddy's 06 Boulevard M109R. That bike has just about everything I'm looking for in a cruiser except the fact it's a Suzuki, plus the fact his aftermarket pipes sound like shit (hoping that's a cheap pipe thing and not a metric cruiser issue--not really a fan of Harley's). Being that I've put a lot of wrench time in my sportbike, it's not beyond me to get a Vulcan and make it something different. Actually I quite enjoy not having the same bike as everyone else, plus I've recently gotten into painting and bodywork.

Here are my questions:

How hard is it to get a fat rear wheel, are there swappable solid wheels I can get (not digging wire wheels) without going aftermarket, what's the nicest pipes to go with, and....well I'll search for answers on the other queries I have.

Sorry about the lengthy intro, but thanks for reading. See you all around.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 02:39 PM

Garage
Hi Larry and welcome. Have a look around the various sections of the forum. BTW you didn't say what size of Vulcan interests you.

Life is not a rehearsal.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kawasaki VN 1600 Nomad
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosivad View Post
Hi Larry and welcome. Have a look around the various sections of the forum. BTW you didn't say what size of Vulcan interests you.
Well the size is what I'm not sure about really. I've had one guy tell me "buy the bike with the biggest engine you can afford", but with bigger engines come bigger fuel costs, and since I'm mainly looking to commute and generally enjoy a comfy ride, it doesn't need to be fast or whatever. I've only ridden sport bikes so I'm not aware of how the various size cruisers feel as far as power goes. The M109R had some ass, but still couldn't keep up with my 599 cc sport bike. The things I liked about the M109R was the fat rear wheel and nice overall look, BUT the seat left something to be desired. I sat on a Yamaha Raider that had a fantastic seat.

Anyways I'm rambling here. I'm 5'10" tall and 215 lbs, so I need a bike with enough ass to carry me and my wife without issues, whether it be power or suspension. I'd also like a bike with a manly grunt from the exhaust pipes. I've seen a few Vulcans on YouTube that sound really nice, and I've priced them new and used, and from what I've gathered is that they're all pretty reasonably priced for what they have. Am I right? The new 900 custom is nice, but when I was at the dealer a few months ago the guy told me I didn't want a little 900 cc Vulcan. At the time I was looking at the Raider, M109R, amd some of the Victory bikes, all of which had large engines. So whatever anyone can tell me would be helpful.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Top Contributor

Hey, Larry glad to see you here. Just my two cents...I started riding early last year. I bought a Vulcan 900 Classic and basically learned how to ride with that bike. It was great for what I needed at the time, but I felt it was too small after six months. A friend told me to try his '08 vn2000. After riding his bike I knew what I was buying next. Picked up an '05 vn2000 in early October and never looked back. Gobs of power and torque and as far as I'm concerned it handles like my 900. It's all about you and what you want...for me the choice was obvious. Good luck! Let us know what you do.

2013 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I'll be sure to let you all known when I can get one. Until then I'll be reading up on my options. I probably won't be able to get another bike until early next year due to all the stuff I have going on these days, so by then I should know what I want.

There's a green Mean Streak on CL that looks pretty sweet. Maybe I'll look more into those.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode