Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Is it headlite or fuse?

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ckholiness 
#1 ·
99 Vulcan 800 headlight is not working. Would it be a fuse or the headlight itself? Does anyone have a step by step headlight lamp removal know-how? Or would looking at fuse under the seat be a first check? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Most likely it's the bulb, but the fuse is the easist to check, so check the fuse(s) first.

The headlight is simple to remove. Remove the screws that attach the headlihgt trim ring to the headlight bucket, remove trim ring, and then take the reflector assembly out of the headlihgt bucket. On the rear of the reflector, disconnect three prong plug from headlight bulb. Remove rubber boot and release retaining spring. Remove bulb.

#5 ·
Headlight bulb changed...fuse?

Thanks again...changed bulb...no light. Removed seat...to look in junction box for fuse. Problem...I can't get junction box out from under metal brace. Do I need to un-plug two wiring harnesses then, slide junction box out? Fuse is inside of box is'nt it? Help...please?:rolleyes:

#6 ·
You shouldn't need to unplug the harnesses first. It'll give you more room to work if you take the battery out of its compartment - then just wiggle the junction box and work it free from under the welded support brace if it's stuck.

Also, are you sure you're removing the junction box and not the IC ignitor? On my model, the ignitor is bolted in place and the junction box floats freely right next to it.

#7 ·
when you tested for replacement lamp did you start the engine? It is required that you either start it or at least turn it over a few times, enough for the field wire to turn the relay on.
The fuse box will slide out from under the left side without unplugging anything, it is a major pain to get out but it will come out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.