Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Tell me about 800 Classic quirks

11K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  MusicmanM58 
#1 ·
In the coming days I'll be taking pocession of a 2005 Vulcan 800 Classic with Cobra pipes and a rejet. So what do I need to know as a proud new owner? Anything I need to know regarding maintenance? Any must-do modifications? Any common problems to look out for? Thanks!

#4 ·
I had a 1995 VN800a... the only thing I can relate that was something needed done once a month or so (depending on how much you ride) was there was a little oil drain tube right side front that one had to let what oil built up in it to drain out or it would begin to leak down the side of the engine... not sure if your bike will have that or not... otherwise I had no real issues... though I did change the sprockets to make it more a road bike... they do tend to sound wound out on the highway at 70mph.

#6 ·
Mine was on the right side (as sitting on the bike) right next to the frame in front on the motor... had a small thumb plug with spring type tube clamp holding that in.... usually would get maybe an ounce (max) of oil, and if I did not drain it often enough it would leak oil down the side of the engine.

#7 ·
On tight turns the bolt under the driver's foot peg(s) will hit the road and push the peg up (and your foot). First time it happened to me it caught me by surprise!!:eek:
My 05 Classic doesn't like cheap fuel, it spits and sputters , but since yours is re-jetted and piped you may not have that problem.
BTW: W:Dear a helmet with a shield the first few hundred miles to keep the bugs outta your teeth from that ear to ear grin you'll be wearing:D

#8 ·
Mine would run on regular gas, but I seldom used anything but 93 octane... it's was a great bike... ended up sellin it and a 2007 Harley Ultra and bought a 2008 1600 Nomad this past April... nothing against either bike the 800 just really wasn't a good cross country touring bike, and the Harley was not a good around town bike... got the best of both with the Nomad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.