800 Classic No Ignition Condition - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sfair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

800 Classic No Ignition Condition

sfair, Im reaching out to you in particular, I hope you see this post & are willing to share your wisdom and help me and perhaps others down the road diagnose this particular situation. I apologize in advance if this description is a bit lengthy but I want to be thorough.

Back story: The bike is a 2005 800 Classic I have owned since new. Last week I went to bring her out of winter garage hibernation, the Napa Powersport 12-BS battery purchased in July 2015 and still in the bike was hooked up to a Duraboost 750 battery charger/maintainer. Battery showed fully charged per the indicator light on the Duraboost, I checked the battery voltage with my meter, it read 12.6 volts. I then went to start the bike as I normally would, key to ON, the dash bezel lights, tail light, running lights all came ON. (I have a Kisan Run/Turn/Brake light controller installed)

I then moved the stop switch to the Run position, confirmed gear Neutral, pulled out the choke & hit the Start buttonI heard the starter relay click and all the lights immediately went out. I turned the ignition key off and on a couple times and the lights remained OFF. I then did nothing (except scratch my head!) and let the bike sit for a couple minutes. When I again turned the ignition key to ON, all the lights came back ON. I tried the Start button again and the exact same thing happened, starter relay clicked (I heard and felt it) and all the lights went out and stayed OFF for a couple minutes then came ON again. This situation repeated 2 or 3 more times.

I had to wait until yesterday to start troubleshooting it. To begin I turned the ignition key to ON, this time NOTHING happened, no lights at all. I tried the Start button, nothing, relay did not click. I measured the battery voltage, it read only 10.8 volts 1 week later ( I had not put it back on the Duraboost). I checked the battery connections, both were tight and cables appeared good. I pulled the battery out and put it on my Yuasa charger, it charged to 12.6 volts in about 10 minutes. During that time I checked the main 30A fuse and the relay connections, all tight and look good. I pulled the Junction box and checked ALL the fuses, all confirmed good.

I put the battery back in and hooked up the cables. When I again measured voltage it read 12.6V. I again tried the Start sequence. Ignition key to ON and still no lights. Tried the Start button again, nothing happened, no relay sound.

This is where it gets interesting (finally right?!)With the key OFF, I measured battery voltage at 12.6V---then with the probes still in place on the battery I turned the key to ONand the meter immediately went to 0.04 volts!

SoI have my thoughts but will assume nothing and wait for some Forum Knowledge (you out there sfair??) Sorry for the looonnng post gang!

As I know you will ask: my meter is a Craftsman Manual Ranging MultiMeter model # 82345. I am very much a novice using it but follow instructions fairly well I think! I await any and all ideas Vulcan owners! Thx, G-Man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:16 PM
Top Contributor

Looks like your battery is a major suspect in this crime.
Those green lights on chargers will not tell you if the battery can support a load.
Get the battery load tested and report back with the results.
Also check that the charger has not boiled the battery dry if it has caps.
bearslayer likes this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick reply sfair! The battery itself was my suspicion also but that seemed too simple a solution. At work currently, will pull battery this evening and get load test accomplished tomorrow and report findings.

Battery is sealed, no caps. First year I have used this Duraboost charger/maintainer bought at Cycle Gear. Was purchased for a good price---maybe too good?!

I should ask--do you recommend (or not?) leaving a battery on a tender during storage months?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode