Hose diagram? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Hose diagram?

I have a 2000 VN800 that I bought about 1.5 years ago. Previous owner had already started to hack into the bike a little. He removed the EPA. But not sure he did a great job because some of the hoses were literally just taped off. There is a small hoses connecting the 2 top engine covers together. And I have random places where I see hoses go out and not connect to anything on the other side. And I see some random nipples in other places with no hoses.

So my question is. Once a VN800 is scooterized with modded air box and EPA removed. Can someone please tell me what all hoses are left and where the go? I’ve watched a ton of YouTube videos and searched and can’t find the answer.

Here are my main concerns.

1. Hose connecting the 2 engine top pieces. Should these be capped off instead? Or does it even matter

2. There’s empty nipples on the backside of the carb and on the right side of the petcock. From what I can gather online. I’m thinking a hose needs to connect these 2 together?

3. On the left/front/bottom side of my carb there’s a little white thing with a hose on it. And that hose just goes around and down below the carb. As if it once went to the air box before it was modded and current goes to nothing. Should this be removed or capped off or left alone?

4. On the left/back/top side of my carb is a similar looking black thing with a hose connected to it. And it just routes out back near the battery and dumps out to nothing. Same thing. Should this be left or capped or what?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Sorry.

5. My crank case breather nipple has nothing attached to it. It’s just empty right behind the left side of the carb. Is that ok? Or should I run a hose somewhere? Even put a filter on the end?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

I found this picture online which helps.

So my hose connected to the white thing that’s labeled “not this” on my bike goes down at the bottom where the EPA and crankcase hoses dump out in the picture. And I don’t have an EPA or crankcase hose at all.

Then my float vent goes back to the back tire area and dumps.

So I guess my biggest questions now are. The thing labeled “not this” in the photo. What’s that supposed to go to? And does my crankcase need a hose/filter on it? And lastly. Do the nipple on the backside of my carb and right side of my petcock need to connect to each other?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71EC8BF1-CD2B-4CF1-8F3D-D4EB407F462B_1552791998490.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	227428  

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:22 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
what some do is remove the crankcase breather hose from the back of the OEM airbox when installing a new aftermarket airbox and feed that breather hose down underneath the frame of the bike towards the outside air, the oil mist from the crankcase will end up on the road surface instead of being recycled back into the combustion chambers, that hose does not need a filter on it because most of the time the pressure in the crankcase is pushing outwards when the motor is running, but if you are nervous about not having a filter on the end of that hose then you can add a filter to prevent dirt from returning back into the engine crankcase. the nipple on the backside of the carb and on the petcock need to be join with a rubber hose because thats the carb vacuum line that is needed to pull on the small ball rubber stopper in the petcock, when air rushes thru the throat of the carb opening it will create a vacuum and that vacuum must pass thru that tube hose to the petcock to pull on that rubber stopper to allow gas to flow to the carb bowl, when air is not causing a vacuum in the carb a spring in the petcock closes that small rubber stopper shutting off gas flow

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:40 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
you might find that on an 800 the crankcase breather hose connects to an exit nipple that's found near the top of the rear cylinder on the inside of the rear cyl (at the top that's in that gap between the front and rear cylinders), that exit nipple there runs down inside the cylinder towards the inside of the crankcase

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

That nipple at the top inside of the rear cylinder is the nipple I thought was the crankcase breather. It’s currently empty. Where is the crankcase breather then if that’s not it?

Also. What about the left bottom side of the carb. That little white thing that sticks out and has a hose. Where’s that supposed to go?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:51 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
on your 800 carb, there's a nipple that is a carb gas bowl air breather line, that line or hose just runs over towards the inside of your side cover or down infront of your battery, it's just an air line to keep the outside air pressure equal in the carb bowl, if you don't run that hose or don't put a hole on that carb nipple it won't hurt anything, the other nipple on the carb is your gas line that comes from your petcock, the other nipple is your vacuum line that connect to the petcock, and i think those are the only 3 nipples you have to work with on the carb, that crankcase breather hose doesn't connect to the carb

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Ok thanks. So basically I need to connect the carb and petcock and leave the other things as is.
Except. Where is my crankcase breather starting at if it’s not that too inside of rear cylinder?

Also. I have a small hose connecting both cylinders together. Is that ok or should they be capped
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:56 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolferScott View Post
That nipple at the top inside of the rear cylinder is the nipple I thought was the crankcase breather. Itís currently empty. Where is the crankcase breather then if thatís not it?
that nipple at the top inside of the rear cyl. is your crankcase breather line and if there is no hose attached to it then the previous owner remove a hose going from that nipple to the back of the airbox backing plate, so without a hose on that nipple what will happen is the oil mist coming out from the crankcase will exit onto the upper parts of the rear cylinder, it may create an oily mess there but it won't hurt anything without a hose other than just making an oily mess of oil spray in that area.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Ok thanks. I definitely want to run a line so there isn’t an oily mess. Thank you.

So just to double confirm. The little white thing on the bottom left side of the carb that has a hose coming out of it. That’s just another breather hose that can go out and dump somewhere? It doesn’t need to go anywhere else?

And the top of the 2 cylinders connecting together. Is that ok? Or should they be capped off instead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode