99 VN800B Coolant Leak - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
99 VN800B Coolant Leak

I bought this bike a few months ago and had to clean the carb to get her running again. The other day I let the bike warm up for about 15 minutes before going on a ride and came out to find coolant on the ground. I usually let it warm up for a bit because it bogs out when I give it throttle before warming up. However, if it warms up first, the throttle operates correctly throughout the entire throttle pull. It hasn't leaked coolant before. After looking around the bike, it looks like the coolant was coming up into the air intake through the engine breather tube from the rear cylinder. I found coolant on the back end of the carb, in the air intake, and pooled up on top of the engine under the air intake. I checked the coolant at the cap, which was full, and tried to check at the coolant reservoir; however, the clear tube to check it is weathered and not clear enough to see the level. I have yet to add coolant, and I am going to do an oil change to check the clarity and see if maybe I have a blown head gasket. It could be as simple as it overheated enough to boil over and all I need is some more coolant or it could be a bigger issue. I also have to say the coolant that leaked out looked just fine. It was bright green and didn't seem to be burnt or have any oil in it. It didn't look like it was discolored. Please let me know if you have had a similar issue. Thanks and happy riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:44 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
how did you make you?
that coolant reservoir check level tube on my bike is also weathered and not clear, so what I did was syphon out all the fluid then measure out one-half litre to put back in

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 04:47 AM

I have a simular issue with coolant coming into the air breather. There is no sign of coolant coming from the pump "leak" hole however. It appears that coolant is in the engine as well. The bike was just rebuilt from installing 2nd gear. Any idea if this could be a water pump or any other likely issue? An help would help greatly !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode