Rear signal lights - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Rear signal lights

I'm new here and a relatively new bike owner as well. I'm the second owner of a 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic. I noticed that my left rear signal lamp no longer lights up permanently, but the signal still works (now flashes quickly). The right rear lamp does both. My assumption, although it is only an assumption, is that both lamps were illuminated whenever the bike was on until recently. I replaced the bulb and had the same result. I then replaced the entire assembly and still the same. I swapped both the original and the new assembly over to the right side and everything worked as intended. This leads me to believe I have a wiring problem between the connectors and the control module, which is beyond my expertise.

I guess the part that confuses me the most is that after researching several threads here, I'm seeing several say that the rear signal lamps (amber) are not meant to be running lamps at all and are only signals. If this is the case, my three questions are 1) why is my right rear amber lamp operating as a running lamp......2) why is my left rear amber lamp flashing quickly when the turn signal is activated?.......3) are there only certain years where there are supposed to be running lamps?

I'm stumped. Sorry if any of this sounds dumb due to my inexperience and thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 06:29 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2006
Displacement/CC's: 750
Color: Red/black
Garage
I can't intelligently speak about the 800 but on my 750 the rear lights in the factory turn signal housings were only for turn signals, not lit all the time as running lights. However, I switched mine out for LED units that made them not only turn signals, but also always-on running lights and brake lights, too.

Are you sure that a PO (previous owner) didn't swap the stock units for LED units that also turn them into running lights?

This past year my left rear setup developed a short at a spot that was chaffing into a metal thingy. This played all sorts of hell with the functionality of the lights. Once found and corrected, they worked fine. (Moral: look for wire chaffing.)

Now my right rear factory housing itself has crapped out so that the turn signal function is out even though the rest works. I'll be swapping that housing out sometime this winter.

Bottom line: Look for shorts. Determine if you have an LED conversion (if so then you may have to get all new units). Hopefully an 800 rider will pipe-in soon with their specific 800 knowledge for ya.

Chris Cochran
Retired USAF '74 to '95 AMMO
Engine guard with highway pegs
Luggage rack
GPS on RAM handlebar mount
MCCTs replaced ACCTs
Iridium plugs: DPR7EIX-9
Custom made seat (verrry comfortable)
LED turn signals with rear signals relocated
LED license plate holder
Hard mounted Viking saddlebags
Hard mounted fork tool bag (free from Viking)
LED running lights on custom light bar
National Cycles Low Boy Heavy Duty windshield
Home made lowers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode