Gas leak on front side of carb! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Gas leak on front side of carb!

2000 Kawasaki Vulcan VN800a
33,000 miles.

I have a gas leak on the front side of the carb. Not sure where it is actually coming from. It's not in the air filter nor is it leaking from the gas line. I did notice the petcock does still run out when I take the line off. Reserve runs as well as on. Both lower cylinder areas and top of crankcase gets wet from gas. I changed the oil and filter and when I drained the oil it seemed a lot more than just 3.2 quarts. Could this be a faulty petcock and not a diaphragm gone bad? I did see a couple drips where the small diaphragm is installed tho but not actually sure where it is coming from. I had to take a short piece of fuel line and screw a bolt in it and put it on the petcock to keep it from running out.

I wonder if it is the petcock? On PR it flows. On ,Reserve and On, it drips. About 3 drips per second. That's 180 drips per minute or 10,800 drips per hour. 24 hours equals 259,200 drips! That could cause a pile up of gas and cause a leak to show on the outside.

Thanks to all who help with this situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181026_130107.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	225422   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181025_203651.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	225424   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181026_125256.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	225426  

Last edited by Dobro_CW; 10-28-2018 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Figured out something with the petcock. It leaks when in the ON and reserve positions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:37 AM

Year/Make/Model: 1998 Vulcan A
Displacement/CC's: 800
You have a wonky petcock. There is some very thin gaskets in there as well as an o-ring that degrades over time, so you may as well replace it. I think I read somewhere that you can use a Raptor petcock if you want to go the manual route. If not, use the OEM one - #51023 - 1260, about $100. If you are frugal like me, you can very carefully take it apart and just replace the o-ring. I took it out, went to NAPA and matched it up to a vitron one. Works great. I can't stress enough how careful you need to be. If you rip any of the gasket material, it's toast. Also, you should replace the float needle as well as the motor oil that it probably compromised with gasoline - not good for bearings. Good luck
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:54 AM

by the way, the o-ring cost me $2. Happy days.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:59 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Garage
with the dial on the petcock set on PRI the gas is free-flow (bike running or not running), with dial on RES the gas uses the last remaining 3 litres at the bottom of the tank (only when bike is running, with bike not running there should be no gas flowing), with dial on ON, the gas flows only when bike is running, with bike not running there should be no gas flowing and no drips, it looks like the little spring inside the petcock is weak and is not fully closing the rubber plug to stop any flow of gas or drips when bike is not running, you can remove the petcock and open up the petcock to get at the spring and gently stretch it a bit to be a little firmer to close the rubber plug, dont stretch it too much, just a little bit to be a little stiffer, otherwise buy a petcock repair kit with all the parts, i think the kit includes a new spring, but check first a spring is included in the kit before buying

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

I took the petcock off and dismantled it. Stretched the spring out some and reassembled it back together. Installed it back on the tank and put gas back in the tank. It poured out the petcock in all positions. I think I know why tho. As I was dismantling it, I noticed I had to pull a bit to get the stopper on the diaphragm to get it loose from the petcock outlet(?). When reassembling it, I think I should have oiled the O-ring a little and pushed the metal plate to seat it back in place before putting in the screws. I will try this and post how it went latter. This may be why others had issues after rebuilding theirs with a new kit . (Anything is worth a shot!) I am certain I did not tear the diaphragm and I got got it in place with the small posts going thru the small holes in the diaphragm. If possible, I will take pictures and attach them in my next post IF it works.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 11:29 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Garage
as long as the diaphragm is not torn, take the petcock apart and try again

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

I did tear it apart again and check with a bright light behind the diaphragm and see no tears or extra holes that light shown thru. I put it back together and it slowed down at least but that ain't good enough for me. I am considering ordering the rebuild kit. Any extra instructions for when I receive it before rebuilding?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 06:21 PM

Stretching the spring idea is a good one. I also like to use pure silicon grease on any o-rings, or any other rubber parts when reassembling.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

It looks like it may be something else causing the gas leak now. I bought an aftermarket petcock and installed it. (Had to cut the selector down due to it hitting on the bottom of the tank edge to make it work.) With the fuel line off, I put a funnel in a gas container, set it under the petcock to catch any fuel that may leak and poured gas in the tank while the petcock was in the ON position. No leak! I then hooked up all the hoses and rode it to the gas station. Filled the tank up and went inside to pay. When I came out I noticed a hose under the bike was pouring out gas! I pushed it forward and went to crank it but at first would not start. It finally started and I took it back to the house. I placed a container under the hose and watched. No more gas coming out. I put the bike in the shed and still placed the container under it to be on the safe side. I let it set for a couple days and checked it again. There is a wet area around the base of each cylinder. Smelled it and sure nuff, it is gas! Opened the tank and looked in with a flashlight and it is about a gallon lower. I checked the petcock for leakage again and there is no leak in the area or from the outlet. Where is this gas leaking from?? I drained the tank and removed the seat and tank to inspect the hoses and still can find no issues there. The gas is NOT going into the oil either. Could this leak be coming from the accelerator pump chamber? Or could this be a tank that was recalled before? I searched but can not seem to find anything on a 2000 Vulcan VN800A recall on the tank.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 07:59 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Sounds like sticking floats.

If at first you do succeed,try not to look surprised.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode