1Likes
  • 1 Post By Du-Rron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Kawasaki Vulcan s
Displacement/CC's: 650
Color: blue
Convince me not to get an 800

Yep you read it right. I am looking at picking up a 2003 Vulcan 800. 4600 miles on it. Just passed inspection. Going to see it first hand next Saturday. I am looking to get the Blue Collar bobber kit and have a project to work on. I am not familiar with this bike so I wanted to know why I SHOULD NOT buy it. thanks!

Pain is inevitable; Suffering is optional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 01:43 AM

Year/Make/Model: 1995/Kawasaki/VN800A
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: black
Garage
VN800 has quite poor brakes. This is, in my opinion, the weakest point of VN800.
BUT, this should not make the difference ...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 02:24 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Vulcan 800 Classic
Garage
There are minimal performance upgrades you can do to them, and aftermarket parts are limited. They have pretty high RPMs when going over about 100km/h on the highway, which results in a lot of vibration, unless you change out the sprockets. They have single rotor front brakes, though I have never had any issues stopping.

The pros: They're water cooled. They look sweet with the BCB kits installed. Other than checking the valve adjustment periodically (very important), and basic maintenance, they're pretty damn bombproof. The list goes on.

Never argue with a fool: onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:56 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 KAW VN900CGF
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by SithScout View Post
Yep you read it right. I am looking at picking up a 2003 Vulcan 800. 4600 miles on it. Just passed inspection. Going to see it first hand next Saturday. I am looking to get the Blue Collar bobber kit and have a project to work on. I am not familiar with this bike so I wanted to know why I SHOULD NOT buy it. thanks!
Well... If you insist.

You are too short and ugly for this bike. You are not "Manly" enough to ride any motorcycle much less this one. You would give other folks a reason to sell their 800's if you bought one. Any bike you buy would cause their values to drop. Hell, Kawasaki will not sell you a bike new for fear of ruining their reputation. Please go buy a Vespa and bother that group for awhile.

Your dog does not like you.

Evilwestsidefan likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 10:39 AM

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
Color: Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du-Rron View Post
Well... If you insist.

You are too short and ugly for this bike. You are not "Manly" enough to ride any motorcycle much less this one. You would give other folks a reason to sell their 800's if you bought one. Any bike you buy would cause their values to drop. Hell, Kawasaki will not sell you a bike new for fear of ruining their reputation. Please go buy a Vespa and bother that group for awhile.

Your dog does not like you.

SAVAGE

Mines breaks OK, never tried with oem brakes, have aftermarket disc and pads, but people said oem are not good, ugly rear fender ( you doing BCB) mmm not much complain on my end really.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 12:22 AM

Year/Make/Model: 1997/Vulcan/Classic
Color: Blue
That bike is like new 4600 miles is nothing. I love my 800 but then I am an older biker that started riding back in the BSA, Norton, Triumph days. Love the way those bikes sound and run. A little while ago I was riding home in the evening and a guy pulled up on me with a Suzuki rice burner, we took off and I held pace with him till I missed shifting into third and hit the rev limiter at around 70 mph in second. He was shocked I was right on his rear we both slowed down after going a little over 80 mph. I was grinning from ear to ear, granted he would pull away if we kept going, but out the blocks the 800 is a hot little number. When I got the need for speed I take my Connie 14 out. Only reason the 800 doesnt have better quarter mile times is because she tops out at around 107 mph and really loses pull over 80 mph.

Last edited by Evilwestsidefan; 10-04-2018 at 12:29 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 08:23 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Garage
for brakes on the 800, all you do is get into a new mindset and anticipate the need to slow down or stop by applying brakes earlier, for the 800 get vance and hines cruzers pipes for that harley rumble sound, for that quarter mile drag racing, as you age older you might find that kind of stuff is for the younger less mature type riders, so i left that kind of thing behind many years ago, racing other bikes is what we did as kids, your method may vary

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 10:39 AM

God I hate my VN800B! Especially with the Blue Collar Bobbers kits on it!

HAHAHAHA, Just Kidding!

It's a great bike, yeah the brakes aren't the best, but like other said, take it into account. I've panic-stopped dozens of times (city living) and not hit anything or laid it down except a minivan that made a right from the middle lane in front of me - there was no stopping in time for that one.

The engine is bulletproof, the drivetrain solid, the aesthetics are good (even better with BCB stuff on it), and it's cheap to insure and maintain.

It takes abuse too - my VN800 was my first bike, and I'm glad to still have it!

I know this thread was from a couple of months ago, did you buy the bike?

-John

2016 Vaquero (mostly stock)
2005 VN800B Bobber (Blue Collar Bobbers kits)
1979 KZ650SR
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 01:48 PM
Top Contributor

I've got a '05 800 Classic & a '15 Vulcan 650S. Even with a new bike, I won't be getting rid of my 800C. That was my first bike and still rides sweet. The 800C is like a Caddy and the "S" is like a sports car in comparison. The 800C is such a nice machine to ride, very comfortable and runs great, sounds great and looks great. The brakes on the 800C aren't that bad. Compared to the "S" which also has ABS, the 800C stops pretty good. Maintenance is low & easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode