Only running on "Res" putters out while on "On" - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Only running on "Res" putters out while on "On"

Ok everyone,

I have a cross state motorcycle ride to Northern MN tomorrow and I'm very excited for that. But I've run into an issue. After putting in new spark plugs and reinstalling the tank, I filled up the tank. While I was at it I topped of the oil and tried to start the bike. But it wouldn't start. It would if I ran with it and popped the clutch.

Oddly enough it will start and run fine on "Res" setting from the petcock but not "On". It's not a vacuum issue is it? I figured not since I thought both "Res" and "On" would require the same vacuum pressure to operate. Wouldn't it make more sense for the lower "Res" straw from the tank to be clogged? I cant think of why the "On" setting won't work.

What should I check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 12:32 PM

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Black
Garage
start by removing the petcock, see if the little filter is not dirty, and if its clean open the petcock, because the ON passage may be, clean it and install it back, see if that solve your issue.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 05:49 PM

Year/Make/Model: 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Color: Blue-Green
Garage
Remove tank and set it on bench and support it well
Take the vacuum hose and put it back on the petcock--suck gently on the vacuum hose and gas should flow in both RES and ON positions--they should not leak any when not under a vacuum! It doesn't take much vacuum for the gas to flow (NOTE: prime position will flow freely without any vacuum)
If gas does not flow in either position; do as doitmanny suggests--check the screen; if screen ok then disassemble petcock--it's plugged so clean it
Hopefully you will not need a new petcock--but I've replaced a many of them!

Or go on hour ride in the RES position and just fill up a little more often--no biggie--deal with it when you get back

Let us know what you find so others can learn

1996 Vulcan 800, Blue/Green
JUST SOLD: 2016 Indian Scout, Black
SOLD LAST YEAR: 2006 Triumph Rocket III, Black
SOLD LAST YEAR: 1967 Honda 305 Dream, Black

"Going up the country . . . "

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:24 AM

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
Color: Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgrape View Post
Remove tank and set it on bench and support it well
Take the vacuum hose and put it back on the petcock--suck gently on the vacuum hose and gas should flow in both RES and ON positions--they should not leak any when not under a vacuum! It doesn't take much vacuum for the gas to flow (NOTE: prime position will flow freely without any vacuum)
If gas does not flow in either position; do as doitmanny suggests--check the screen; if screen ok then disassemble petcock--it's plugged so clean it
Hopefully you will not need a new petcock--but I've replaced a many of them!

Or go on hour ride in the RES position and just fill up a little more often--no biggie--deal with it when you get back

Let us know what you find so others can learn
correct here, check it first, make sure you vacuum line its connected where it needs to be in the carb, and that its not broken.
hope you dont have to replace the petcock - i have replace then like 4 times on 4 different bike as well. in other case you can get a rebuild kit if is not plugged and rubbers are damage. this will save you a bit of cash
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 06:06 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan
Color: Candy Wine Red with Lustre Beige
if you end up needing a new petcock, i found an OEM replacement for a reasonable price when i went to replace my leaking one at niche cycle part number 51023-1260
if you don't want to fork out that sort of money and are up for putting new seals in, i can send you my old one.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 03:22 PM

Year/Make/Model: 96 VN800B Classic
Displacement/CC's: 800CC
Color: Blue Teal
So what you're saying is that if the gas line hose is disconnected and the petcock is in the run position there should be NO leakage of gas. Gas will only flow if the smaller hose is creating vacuum. My petcock is dripping and causing the gas to flow down and appears to going into the crank case. If I pinch off the flow hose below the Petcock all seem to be good. Bad Petcock/dirt in the petcock ??
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 04:25 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan
Color: Candy Wine Red with Lustre Beige
Yes, fuel should only flow from the petcock on 'prime.'
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:01 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Garage
inside the gas tank there is a tube connected to the petcock, the tube is divided to allow fuel for ON dial position and RES dial position, the RES position also feeds the PRI dial on the petcock, maybe the section on the tube feeding the ON dial position is plugged

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 07:01 PM

Year/Make/Model: 96 VN800B Classic
Displacement/CC's: 800CC
Color: Blue Teal
Quote:
Originally Posted by btom View Post
inside the gas tank there is a tube connected to the petcock, the tube is divided to allow fuel for ON dial position and RES dial position, the RES position also feeds the PRI dial on the petcock, maybe the section on the tube feeding the ON dial position is plugged
cant see any tube inside the tank connected to the petcock. We're talking about a 96 VN800B the only tubes connected to the petcock are outside the tank Vacuum from Carb and fuel line to carb.....I have a vacuum feed petcock that the bike must be running creating a vacuum to open the diaphragm to allow gas to flow. I believe the Diaphragm is either torn or just worn out
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Garage
not outside the tank but inside it, is there not a solid tube connected on top of the petcock and is inside the gas tank?

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode