Engine noise? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Vulcan 800 Classic
Garage
Engine noise?

So, I have noticed a very strange noise coming from my bike since I started riding it again this year. It kind of sounds like if you were to tap your knuckled against the crank case perhaps? It's a sort of muffled vaguely metallic thud. It's extremely hard to describe. It almost sounds like a very quiet backfire or pop. I can't tell where the noise is coming from, and the bike appears to be functioning perfectly otherwise. I can hear the noise only when the throttle is applied and the clutch is out, so on acceleration or while cruising. I can't hear it at all at idle, or when revving the engine with the clutch in, or while decelerating with the clutch out. Also, I can only hear the noise when I have earplugs in (which is rather alarming), otherwise the exhaust drowns out the noise.

Other than a carb clean and an oil change, I haven't done anything to the bike to have caused the noise. I did adjust my valves near the end of the season last year, so they should be good for a long while still.

Any ideas?

Never argue with a fool: onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode