Looking for the truth on these mods - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 04 Kawasaki VN800A
Color: red
Garage
Looking for the truth on these mods

I have an 04 Vulcan 800a with Cobra pipes (11,000 miles) that I am considering grampizing and doing the epa mod but am concerned about long term negative side effects.
What are the side effects with doing the epa mod, has anyone ran into problems after putting on say 10 or 20 thousand miles after deleting it? I intend on owning it until I can no longer ride, hopefully a long time from now.

Thanks ahead of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 10:03 PM

Year/Make/Model: 1997/Vulcan/Classic
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Blue
Not sure what you are worried about I have Cobra pipes, Thunder Jet and Air kit, Power Commander. Runs great and I am pushing 50,000 miles. When you get rid of the EPA crap you will smell the exhaust more. I love how mine runs and sounds. My other bike is a Connie 14 which is a totally different ride so I am pretty spoiled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	800.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	221346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5037.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	221354  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My fear is if I make the wrong choice in mods I will do more damage than good. I am doing my research before mods. I have always been more of a car guy and have always done my research before modding them. Sadly I can no longer be crawling around under the hood do to a previous back injury and I am turning to cycles now. Since I can sit and work on them it makes motorcycles a little easier than cars. Luckily I can still ride motorcycles if I stop and take breaks every now and then. I have not really worked on them other than cleaning the carbs and I don't want to make any bad choices.

I am a little jealous of your green machine, I don't think my back could take it but I do like it!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 10:49 PM

Year/Make/Model: 1997/Vulcan/Classic
Color: Blue
You could ride Greenie, Connie's are more of a standard riding position and the wind screen is adjustable. They are made for the long haul and eat the slab well.
If you still have your standard sprockets I would stay with that, I had some fun tonight with a guy on a rice burner, my 800 kept up OK until I hit my rev limiter in 2nd and had to go to 3rd looked down and I was running around 78 mph, I am guessing he was doing over 80 because he started pulling away, but out of the blocks was no problem she did great.
Since you do cars its gas, air, and spark, with my mod's they were never really where they needed to be till a shop that had a dyno helped me, they switched out my pilot jet which relieved a cough my bike had.
Now she goes pretty good, have fun, make sure to share with us how she turns out.

Last edited by Evilwestsidefan; 06-06-2018 at 10:52 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I will be replacing the sprockets next spring but am undecided if I will change the size. I think my winter project will be Grampizing and epa removal, I just want to ride now. Getting ready for a 4 day riding and camping trip with some friends. I am pretty excited about this trip. Thanks for the advice.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 02:23 PM

Year/Make/Model: 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Color: Blue-Green
Garage
JScheppasr: I did the grampsize and it never quite worked out for me; always an intermittent hesitation at 55-65 mph; did everything to correct by the book and not by the book; I ended up removing it; However I did remove EPA and routed the crankcase breather to its own filter; if I need more HP I will just get another bike; besides it's not that much difference that I felt when I had it grampsized

1996 Vulcan 800, Blue/Green
JUST SOLD: 2016 Indian Scout, Black
SOLD LAST YEAR: 2006 Triumph Rocket III, Black
SOLD LAST YEAR: 1967 Honda 305 Dream, Black

"Going up the country . . . "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode