Any way to accidentally flood these bikes? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Any way to accidentally flood these bikes?

Hey all. I just bought a 99 Vulcan 800. Rode great 3 times, then I had its longest ride to work a couple days ago. Ran good then, but on my lunch it wouldn't idle. Then it died and gas drained out of the drain tube.

Today I towed it home, and looked at it. I have factory air filter and intake, but it has Vance and Hines pipes. Both jets inside the carb are factory (the little one most looked like it said 48 instead of 45....not sure). There was some gunk in the bowl but nothing real dirty. Float looked ok and the needle seemed fine - no ring around the rubber. Petcock is not leaking fuel when on the on position, not even a drip.

I cleaned it out, and put it back together. Put the air cleaner on. Now it starts without throttle or choke, just like when I bought it. Ive started and idled it twice, and let it sit for 2 hours and started it again. Still seems ok.

Is there some kind of failure that would happen after a 20 or more like ride that would then cause the carb to flood? I know this is really random and specific but I'm trying to avoid getting stuck again.

I will pull the spark plugs tomorrow after work if you need more information. Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 02:48 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Vulcan 800 Classic
Garage
Just considering you mentioned gas coming out the carb overflow, I would suggest doing a carb rebuild and a tank clean. To the best of my knowledge, there is no reason the carb should overflow other than a stuck float or bad float needle/crud on the float needle seat.

Never argue with a fool: onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode