Turn signals - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Turn signals

I have a 96 Vulcan 800 that's got the turn signal blues. Indicator light doesn't light, right side blinks rapidly , left front stays on, left rear works fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a sunny day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone have any simple suggestions on where I might begin to look for my turn signal problem? Something I could check before having to put it in the shop?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 02:37 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black & Silver
Garage
The easy Step #1 is to replace bulbs all the way around. The rapid flashing of the right indicates one bulb needs replaced, so you might as well do all four while you're at it, since they're probably on a short road to failure. I'm not sure if that relates to the "stays on" problem, but replacing bulbs is easy and cheap, so I'd go for it.

If bulb replacement doesn't work, the next step in expense and difficulty -- and it's neither very expensive nor very difficult, really -- is replacing the turn signal relay. I'm not sure where they stuck it on the 800, and don't have a shop manual for your bike -- on the 900 it's under the seat and tool kit. Locating it is about 90% of the job -- after that it's just "unplug old plug in new."

At that point you've replaced everything in that sub-system except the turn signal switch and the wiring -- and your problem doesn't seem like it is in either of those.

"Don't force it. Get a bigger hammer."
- William Shakespeare

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 07:01 PM

Year/Make/Model: 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Blue-Green
Garage
Just went thru this with my bike. Make sure you have the correct wattage and the correct type in each hole.

The rear bulbs are single element 21W. The front bulbs are double element 23W/8W. Having a lower wattage will make it fast blink. I purchased aftermarket rear blinkers and they blinked fast. Ordered new relay and that wasn't problem. Dumb me, the aftermarket blinkers had very low wattage bulbs in them. Put the right bulbs in and all is well. Hopefully same for you. And AutoZone, O'reillys don't have them. I ended up ordering them online.

The blinker indicator light may just be corroded or loose or bulb burned out. They usually work unless the PO had the electrical jacked up. Sometimes the plug under the meter housing didn't get plugged in tight when tank was removed. Let us know.

1996 Vulcan 800, Blue/Green
JUST SOLD: 2016 Indian Scout, Black
SOLD LAST YEAR: 2006 Triumph Rocket III, Black
SOLD LAST YEAR: 1967 Honda 305 Dream, Black

"Going up the country . . . "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode