2005 Vulcan 800 Engine Noise - normal? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

2005 Vulcan 800 Engine Noise - normal?

OK all, I got this 05 Vulcan 800 Classic back in 2010. Engine had 700 miles on it then, but it had sat for almost 5 years. I took it to my mechanic, and he replaced the tank, rebuilt the carb, replaced the battery and fluids and tires, and it was good to go. I had him do all the maintenance since then, and in 2017 I bobbed it out. Hadn't ridden it much because it needed new tires and I have a 2016 Vaquero I do most of my riding on.

Flash forward to this past weekend, when I dropped it off for service and new tires.

I picked up the bike this morning (44 degrees out) and she ran great! Rode on the highway to work (25 miles or so), no issues.

It was about 63 degrees when I left work this afternoon, and got on the highway again, but hit a bunch of traffic. Lots of stop-and-go, low speed, and a few bursts to highway speed. After I got off the highway, at the first lengthy light I sat at, I noticed a noise that seems to be coming from the engine. I've never heard this noise before. It sounds like when a manual transmission's throw-out bearing is chattering, but I don't think it is, since it doesn't go away with clutch engagement or disengagement. Seems to go away if I rev above idle.

I had to park the bike to go to dinner, so I did, but what do you all think it could be? Engine was plenty warm at this time. The valves haven't been manually checked - I was told by my mechanic that you could hear them before they got too far out of tolerance to be an actual issue. I've trusted him with all my motorcycles for the past 8 years, and have never before had an issue, so I trust him quite a lot. I'm hoping it's something simple and cheap, since I have just dropped a ton of money on new tires for 2 bikes and services for the same bikes, and the wife definitely won't be happy if I have to drop a bunch more money to keep the bobber on the road.

Thanks,

-John

2016 Vaquero (mostly stock)
2005 VN800B Bobber (Blue Collar Bobbers kits)
1979 KZ650SR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:46 AM
Top Contributor

1. Your mechanic is incorrect. The valves get quieter as they wear and to wait for any sounds could be a disaster. The Kawasaki valve maintenance schedule must be adhered to and not to do so would be at your own peril, especially for 800's.

2. The noise...does it seem to be coming from under engine cover, left side?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
1. Your mechanic is incorrect. The valves get quieter as they wear and to wait for any sounds could be a disaster. The Kawasaki valve maintenance schedule must be adhered to and not to do so would be at your own peril, especially for 800's.

2. The noise...does it seem to be coming from under engine cover, left side?
#1, thanks... I was not aware of that.

#2, not sure. It just seemed to be coming from the engine. Next time I take it out I'll listen around the engine and see where the noise is coming from and report back.

I spoke to another rider friend last night and he said it sounds like the automatic cam tensioner... does that sound like a chattering throw-out bearing?

-John

1979 KZ650SR

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 11:23 AM

Year/Make/Model: 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Blue-Green
Garage
Check your valves before doing anything. Put that to rest ASAP.
Yes, an incorrectly adjusted cam chain can chatter like a Little League infield.
Assuming you have good oil in it and at the proper level.

1996 Vulcan 800, Blue/Green
JUST SOLD: 2016 Indian Scout, Black
SOLD LAST YEAR: 2006 Triumph Rocket III, Black
SOLD LAST YEAR: 1967 Honda 305 Dream, Black

"Going up the country . . . "
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 09:48 PM

Year/Make/Model: 1997/Vulcan/Classic
Color: Blue
I would be surprised if you have to do anything to your valves you don't have many miles on the bike. Not sure what you mean about noisy because the valves do chatter. I would do like you said and have your mechanic look to over. May not be anything, do you have good power and does the bike start OK.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, power is great, bike starts great.

I ended up going by the mechanic's shop and he said what I was hearing was nothing to worry about. IIRC, he said it was related to me having too many bikes and trying to "tune into" each one. Either way, he said to go enjoy the bike, so I have been, and she runs strong

-John

1979 KZ650SR
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:03 PM

Year/Make/Model: 1997/Vulcan/Classic
Color: Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraKhen99 View Post
Yeah, power is great, bike starts great.

I ended up going by the mechanic's shop and he said what I was hearing was nothing to worry about. IIRC, he said it was related to me having too many bikes and trying to "tune into" each one. Either way, he said to go enjoy the bike, so I have been, and she runs strong

-John

Still like my 800 Classic the best of all my bikes, she still makes me smile.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilwestsidefan View Post

Still like my 800 Classic the best of all my bikes, she still makes me smile.
I still enjoy riding the 800, which is why I kept it when I got my Vaquero... that, and my wife was supposed to upgrade to it from her Shadow 600. That didn't happen (she got a Harley LOL), but I still kept it because it is a fun bike. Then I decided to bob it out, which has turned out beautifully, and will be even more so when I get around to painting it.

Gotta love a bike that takes all the abuse a new rider puts on a bike, and asks for more. [knocks on wood] She's never left me stranded!

-John

1979 KZ650SR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode