2005 800 classic still a good bike to purchase? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

2005 800 classic still a good bike to purchase?

Hey guys,
I'm lookin at buying a 2005 800 classic... only concern is that Kaw and aftermarket don't really have much of an interest in these bikes anymore and I'm worried that when i want to customise or repair my bike, there aren't going to be the easy choice and availability of parts both oem and aftermarket?

Is this right? The other bike I'm looking at is a clean low kms HD 883 sporty, same price but a gazillion more options and parts availability.

Don't get me wrong, im a kawasaki guy and I'd rather the VN, but i don't want to get stuck with an obsolete bike and no parts.

For example, first thing i will do is a set of nice, internally wired 12" apes. This will require extended wiring kit, new custom brake line, new throttle and clutch cables.... Are these still available for the bike?

Also want to put on aftermarket air cleaner and rejet carb, any decent bolt on air kits still available? I remember having a dragtron or something back in 05 when i had one of these bikes.

Thanks for any advice.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 01:39 PM
Top Contributor

You just cannot beat Harley Davidson when it comes to aftermarket support.

Sorry.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 02:53 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam76 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm lookin at buying a 2005 800 classic... only concern is that Kaw and aftermarket don't really have much of an interest in these bikes anymore and I'm worried that when i want to customise or repair my bike, there aren't going to be the easy choice and availability of parts both oem and aftermarket?

Is this right? The other bike I'm looking at is a clean low kms HD 883 sporty, same price but a gazillion more options and parts availability.

Don't get me wrong, im a kawasaki guy and I'd rather the VN, but i don't want to get stuck with an obsolete bike and no parts.

For example, first thing i will do is a set of nice, internally wired 12" apes. This will require extended wiring kit, new custom brake line, new throttle and clutch cables.... Are these still available for the bike?

Also want to put on aftermarket air cleaner and rejet carb, any decent bolt on air kits still available? I remember having a dragtron or something back in 05 when i had one of these bikes.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

JP Cycles seem to have plenty of parts and options an blue collar bobbers do a bolt on kit that looks awesome for not bad money. I bought an 05 2 mths ago and think itís a great bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heymer27 View Post
JP Cycles seem to have plenty of parts and options an blue collar bobbers do a bolt on kit that looks awesome for not bad money. I bought an 05 2 mths ago and think itís a great bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Heymer, i see you're also from Australia. What are your plans for your 800?

Cheers
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
You just cannot beat Harley Davidson when it comes to aftermarket support.

Sorry.
Absolutely.... that's what i was saying, i was just wondering if there was any support left for the VN800 owners who need to our want to repair or customize their bikes?

Thanks again.
Cheers
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 08:45 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic
Color: Black

Yeah mate from Gladstone, Central Queensland.

Not a lot really, would like to do the Blue Collar Bobber Kit but save my dollars for a Fat Bob to be honest. I drilled holes in my exhaust end plates for a bit extra noise but gave myself a headache with it now surging from a cold start. But hoping a jet kit will solve that.

Last edited by Heymer27; 03-25-2018 at 08:49 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 05:59 PM

Year/Make/Model: 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Color: Blue-Green
Garage
It's just what you want to do. If you like bolt ons and accessories, HD is the way to go like sfair stated. I'm not a HD guy, so someone else could answer better. But there is plenty of dress-me-up stuff for the 800s.

I have a 1996 800 Classic that was DOA a few months ago when I bought it. I just got back yesterday from going half way across Texas and back--absolutely NO issues. Bike ran like a dream, not even a hiccup. The 800 is an iron work horse in my opinion. Look at my 'signature' and you will see the bikes I have just given up. But the 800 was the one I chose to ride the Three Twisted Sisters and Kickapoo Caverns on. Being in the middle of BFE, dependability is everything to me, plus I can work on it if need be.

I have also owned 900s. Seems whatever I buy, I come back to the 800. As far as air kits for the 800--not much out there it seems and even with those high dollar ones, I read where 800 owners are having problems. I tried grampsizing but it didn't work very well like the Wolf said. Haven't given up on it yet.

BTW, I got 51-53 mpg consistently. Up hill, down hill, around hills, and long straight aways. I don't go all that fast when on a trip, so I'm sure that helped the mpg. Bike is pretty much all stock other than emissions deletion, Cobra exhaust, and the next size up pilot jet.

Let us know what you decide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0186.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	214009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0182.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	214017  

1996 Vulcan 800, Blue/Green
JUST SOLD: 2016 Indian Scout, Black
SOLD LAST YEAR: 2006 Triumph Rocket III, Black
SOLD LAST YEAR: 1967 Honda 305 Dream, Black

"Going up the country . . . "
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Hey Texasgrape, thanks for the reply. Yeah, i have a soft spot for the old 800's too.....

So if i don't do the aftermarket air intake kit, what is the next best thing? How do i get it to breathe a little better? The bike I'm looking at already has the slip on mufflers.

Cheers. Thanks for your advice.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 08:25 PM

Year/Make/Model: 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Color: Blue-Green
Garage
Good things at Russian Wolf's website. The Wolf's Bike Shop; just how far do you trust me?
I took off all the EPA garbage, added a separate crankcase breather, and of course a hi flow Cobra exhaust. Nothing goes to my airbox now except air. Bike runs cooler and does breathe a little better. I tried the grampsize intake, but could not get my bike tuned right, so I went back to original except for the crankcase breather addition as you will see on the website.

1996 Vulcan 800, Blue/Green
JUST SOLD: 2016 Indian Scout, Black
SOLD LAST YEAR: 2006 Triumph Rocket III, Black
SOLD LAST YEAR: 1967 Honda 305 Dream, Black

"Going up the country . . . "
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgrape View Post
...The 800 is an iron work horse in my opinion. Look at my 'signature' and you will see the bikes I have just given up. But the 800 was the one I chose to ride the Three Twisted Sisters and Kickapoo Caverns on. Being in the middle of BFE, dependability is everything to me, plus I can work on it if need be.
I see you recently gave up a 2016 Indian scout? I'd like to know what you didn't like about it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode