Carburetor: What goes here? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Blue-Green
Garage
Carburetor: What goes here?

Just bought a 1996 800 Classic and pulled the carb to clean it. I found this gold knurled piece on the carb. What does it do and where does it connect to? Thank you for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CarbPart.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	207321  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 11:45 AM

That is a carb vent location, a plastic elbow once covered that brass bushing....the elbow has been broken or removed leaving the brass subsection. Its pressed into the carb body. A hose 92190-1619 TUBE,CANISTER-AIR FILTER CNUS connected to the plastic elbow.

As long as the brass piece is not plugged, capped or covered and is left open to atmosphere (to vent) you'll be ok.

Last edited by custom carb service; 12-22-2017 at 12:25 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 01:04 PM
Top Contributor

Bowls should be vented to a location between air filter and carb intake for maximum efficiency.
If that is where it was, that is where it should go.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks to both. I will find a place to hook up the hose somewhere in between air filter and intake. Not sure where it went originally, couldn't find anything on the drawings in Fuel Section other than a reference in the drawing to Detail B, which looks likes a California model.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 10:10 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: (SOLD) Kawasaki Vulcan S [Harley-Davidson FLXTRS Road Glide Special]
Displacement/CC's: 107 (1746cc)
Color: Bonneville Salt Pearl
Carburetor: What goes here?

Originally went to an evaporative canister system, that had an offshoot that hooked up near the air cleaner in the CA Model

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT

Last edited by texasnurse; 12-22-2017 at 10:26 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 07:54 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgrape View Post
Thanks to both. I will find a place to hook up the hose somewhere in between air filter and intake.
NO! do not do that, leave it alone, from the factory there was a tube to run back towards under the seat, I ran my vent to inside the right-side cover, if you run a hose to between air filter and intake you are going to have problems and wonder why there's a problem, so just leave it alone as is, it will not do any harm leaving it alone

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 10:18 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by btom View Post
NO! do not do that, leave it alone, from the factory there was a tube to run back towards under the seat, I ran my vent to inside the right-side cover, if you run a hose to between air filter and intake you are going to have problems and wonder why there's a problem, so just leave it alone as is, it will not do any harm leaving it alone
If that is how it was from the factory, that is fine, but many bikes and all cars connect to where I described and there is a GOOD REASON for it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 11:05 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: (SOLD) Kawasaki Vulcan S [Harley-Davidson FLXTRS Road Glide Special]
Displacement/CC's: 107 (1746cc)
Color: Bonneville Salt Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
If that is how it was from the factory, that is fine, but many bikes and all cars connect to where I described and there is a GOOD REASON for it.

Not sure what the threading is; the op would have to replace the hose barb because the other is broken off.

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 12:28 PM

^ Pressed in...not threaded...all you are seeing in OP's pic is the brass remnant innard of the plastic hose barb. The plastic has been removed. The complete hose barb is NOT serviced (not sold separately) so he'll be forced to improvise a hose there. Though the brass remnant *could* be removed, using a self improvised puller device. Using a tap to thread, a bolt and stack of washers, it can be done. I've used the method on 250 Ninja in the past. Same type elbow.
As it is a vent, there is no fuel present at that height of the fuel chamber (unless the bike is laid down sideways)
An alternative plastic elbow could be used. As this is a vent, its not super critical as to the part used. It IS critical it remains open to atmosphere and not plugged or restricted.

Also notice in his pic..the fuel inlet barb has been replaced with a brass elbow as well. It was, from factory, a plastic over brass, pressed elbow as well, similar (if not exact) to the vent elbow. Very likely someone broke them (?) while trying to service or clean the carbs in the past (?)

The Keihin pressed, black plastic factory elbows *will* crack and must be treated with care and respect. Keihin uses them on many CV carbs, right up from 250 Ninja.

Last edited by custom carb service; 12-23-2017 at 12:32 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm going to leave the fitting alone and get a vacuum hose that fits it snug. NOT going to try to remove it; no need to, plus I envision a can of worms inside that task. Will route the hose out of the way to a clean place. Great info all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode