Help! Throttle kills engine after oil/coolant change and new K&N air filter. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By glhadiator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 1996 Kawasaki VN800-B1 classic
Displacement/CC's: 805
Color: Green and silver
Garage
Help! Throttle kills engine after oil/coolant change and new K&N air filter.

I'll try to keep it short. I am a young, self taught DIY novice so bare with me.

I recently decided to change the oil, coolant, oil filter and air filter on my VN800 96. I also wanted to take the gas tank off to get a better look at everything. Once I drained my bike of oil and coolant, it sat for 3 days opened up while I waited on my K&N oil filter and K&N air filter.

I ran into a problem with the gas tank. The fuel line was wedged onto the fuel tab (petcock) and was strapped with a zip tie holding the small tear at the top of the hose from expanding. I got it off but couldn't get it back on. I bought 6 inches of larger hose, and looked for a double sided brass barbed fitting with 1 larger and 1 smaller side. I had no luck, but found a plastic one. The tube that the fuel flows through its self was more narrow than I hoped but i gave it a shot.

It seemed to work. No leaks, and engine turned on. As expected, my Vulcan didn't sound or feel the same, and I let it idle until the radiator fan turned on to burp the system and to check my oil/coolant level. I usually don't need choke to start her up, but this time I did, and after 2 idle heat cycles burping the system, I put the radiator cap on, and road my Vulcan around the block. It wasn't easy, It was like playing a game with the bike to keep it from stalling. The next day I start her up and its a little worse. Throttle makes the carburetor backfire and the engine clunk and stall. I feel like I was hurting the bike forcing it through the 3 gears around the block.

I wonder, is my jerry rigged fuel line restricting flow? Or is the bike not used to the new K&N filter? The idle adjust didn't help much. Anything I should think about before I remake my fuel line, or take my carburetor out for a cleaning and adjustment.

"WAAAAAGH!"

Last edited by BadMan; 12-05-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update: I found the old air filter, put It on, and it didn't help. I'm hoping its my narrow fuel line. I'm guessing its wide enough for the fuel demand of the bike being in idle, but as soon as i put it into gear and give some throttle it stalls out.

"WAAAAAGH!"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 09:08 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 1500FI
Color: Ebony Black/Galaxy Silver
Garage
Sounds like you need the factory fuel line just to begin with......
www.kawasakipartshouse.com
www.bikebandit.com
www.cheapcycleparts.com
www.babbittsonlineparts.com

06 1500 Classic FI (Anniversary Edition)
Reward the truth, punish the liars...Ted Nugent

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Update: After making a brass adapter with liquid fuel resisting gasket I fixed the fuel line. The bike didn't start until i replaced spark plugs, and jump started her. I used some seafoam because I was originally worried the carb was dirty.

Bike is running like new.

"WAAAAAGH!"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:17 AM
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Classic LT (Buffy)
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Blue/Silver/Chrome
Garage
Glad you got it running!

Not sure what you meant when you said you drained the oil and coolant and left it 'open' until you received filter and coolant.

Just a bit of advice for your DIY toolbox; You shouldn't leave oil, gas or internals 'open' for extended periods of time. Always cap or plug them to avoid contaminates being introduced into the system. Small contaminates can cause huge problems.

Also, be very carful when working with fuel! Some years back a buddy of mine was doing some work similar to what you did when he slipped with a tool and created a spark which resulted in burning his bike and garage to the ground!

Good luck becoming a DIY guy on your bike. It has the risk of turning into a life long love. I swear sometimes I think I enjoy working on and upgrading my bike more than riding...nah! Just kidding, nothing beats riding!
marcelm likes this.

...On a Steel Horse I ride...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode