Crank no spark - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 96/Kawasaki/Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Red
Crank no spark

Howdy guys i have a very interesting problem that i am in need of some assistance with. I recently purchased a 96 kawasaki vulcan 800 and was told the ignitor needed to be replaced. Well i bought one before even trouble shooting (save the BS) I know it was a mistake but i figured the dude new his stuff. Anyways after verifying no spark at the spark plug after installing the (used) ignitor i bought i began the troubleshooting. So here is what i have done so far, I have verified the kick stand sensor works, verified continuity for the clutch sensor. I have verified continuity from the CDI to the coils and have verified the continuity of the spark plug wires. Also traced all grounds that i could find. In addition to all of this there is a buzzing sound coming from the junction box when i attemp to start the bike, depending on how hard i press the start button. ( the box will not buzz once the starter turns on). Thanks guys for the help i really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995/ Kawasaki/vn1500
Displacement/CC's: 1470
Color: Black / Cream
Garage
Hi Tyler hope your well ! Don't know your bikes set up But would think like most modern bikes it has PICKUPS ,1/2 inside the motor ! you would have to consult the manual for that information ! Have you tryed sticking a volt mtr UP the plug lead ? ( NO PLUG CAP) to see if you get ANY voltage at all ? I am sure someone that knows these motors better than me will be along shortly to point you in the RIGHT direction ! LOL

Steve
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

I have not yet but i will once im home from work

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 03:33 PM
Top Contributor

Do NOT put your meter near a spark plug wire unless you want to see it smoke!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 04:05 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995/ Kawasaki/vn1500
Displacement/CC's: 1470
Color: Black / Cream
Garage
Ok sfair my mistake ! OOOPS ! So there must be something that Tyler can do to see if there is any volts comeing down the leads ? The only other thing I can think of is to rest the lead on the head to see if there's owt there ?? May be better in the DARK ! LOL

Steve
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 05:26 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black & Silver
Garage
For about $5 you can pick up one of those doodads that hooks between the ignition wire and the plug and lights up when da voltz (tm) hits it -- but they can be a genuine pain to get to fit into motorcycle spaces.

Easiest is the old "pull a plug and ground it, then watch for the spark" deal. I always seem to end up shocking the stuffin's out of myself -- because, talent -- but it works. I imagine Tnewton has already done that since he seems quite certain it is a no-spark problem.

"Don't force it. Get a bigger hammer."
- William Shakespeare
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Okay guys after some time in the garage and looking on other forums i have found a forum that fits my bikes problem to a T. When i put a test light on the - wire for the coil i get 1 faint spark when attempting to start the bike. It seems that its the 100 ohm resistor that im having problems with but im unsure if my bike even came with the anti theft resistor. Is there somewhere i can look to see if it did wor what there is a grey wire coming from the ignitor but i dont see one at the kill switch please help...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 02:29 AM

Year/Make/Model: VN 1500 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Black
I had a similar problem on a Yamaha. Turned out to be the side-stand kill switch relay. It would crank without any problem, but no spark. I disconnected the relay and it fired up. The defective side-stand relay was killing the spark. Just a thought.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 07:10 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Color: Black / grey
A faint spark?
That sounds like a bad wire or a bad/corroded connection.
In one of your posts, about the buzzing, you made it sound as if the starter doesnt always spin is that correct?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1995 en500 stock with windshield - 30,000 miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for such a latency in my response, I put the bike up for a bit (tired of pulling my hair out). the starter will engage everytime i hit the button but i need to firmly press it. If lightly touch the starter button then the fuse box will buzz which i found odd. When I get home im going to revisit this and see what headway i can make. Also with talking to the dude the owned the bike before me he stated he rebuild the bike and after 20 miles the bike cut out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode