frustration - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 02 Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Black/red
frustration

Well, I fixed all of the electrical to discover that the guy who sold me the bike pretty hid a major issue. I am getting coolant in the oil. I changed the oil after I got the bike and didn't see any then but did see then but did see that the coolant was low. then all the electrical problems started. so now I am at a loss. I have no idea where it is coming and it is really frustrating to say the least.

Any suggestions on where to start looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 04:15 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black & Silver
Garage
If it ain't one thing, it's another, huh? Bummer.

I imagine you suspect "head gasket" and maybe even warped heads already. Let us certainly hope the latter is not the case.

I think another possibility is the water pump oil seal. I know a failure there can get oil into the coolant -- I imagine coolant could leak back the other way when the cooling system is pressurized. If there is oil in your coolant, that would actually be sort of good news at this point, since that would point toward the water pump. I'm pretty sure you have to split open the crankcase to replace that oil seal, but it's a fairly straightforward process once you gain access.

No other place where the two could intermix is coming to mind, but others may know more than I.

"Don't force it. Get a bigger hammer."
- William Shakespeare
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 04:57 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Black/Blue
If the bike runs , I would say water pump seal. If its hard to start , or doesn't start , probably head gasket or warped heads.

Sorry to hear this. I've been screwed by asshat sellers too. Not really much you can do because the seller will deny any knowledge of it.

2008 1600 Vulcan Classic
2003 1500 Vulcan Classic
2014 suzuki c50 boss edition

Experience real freedom, ride a Motorcycle.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 09:24 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
There's also the "eyeball the exhaust on startup" test -- white smoke hints at coolant in the combustion chamber, thus head gasket/warped heads.

By the way, warped heads are pretty unlikely unless the bike got severely overheated at some point in its life. Modern heat-treating and machining, ya know.

- William Shakespeare
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 02 Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Black/red
The but coolant in it and only oil. Even with never seen any indication of coolant in the oil on start up or running except the over heating issue. I was not thinking it was a head gasket due to the amount of fluid passing into the oil in such a short time and the only indication is when it overheats.

Thanks for the replys I had to take a day or 2 to decompress after the frustration of dealing with this. I am thinking that tomorrow I will start and look at the seal and hoping that is the problem.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 07:55 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "take a look" at the seal. If you literally "take a look", you're going to have to replace it, and you'll want to anyway, since at that point you'll have drained the coolant and oil and opened up the water pump. But maybe that's what you meant?

I just eyeballed the 800 shop manual, and there is at least a little good news -- on yours you don't need to split the crankcase to replace the water pump seal. And really, even if you replace the water pump seal, and do the head gaskets, you're still looking at fairly small money for parts.

- William Shakespeare
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode