Remove left and right engine covers? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Remove left and right engine covers?

I am trying to remove the left and right engine covers to sand them down and paint them black. I've removed all the Allen screws from both sides after draining all the fluids.

On the clutch cover side I have unscrewed the little frame piece that goes around. But now that all the Allen screws are out. It doesn't seem to come off. There is a hose on the top that I cannot get out and the cable on the bottom. How do I remove those and get the cover off?

And on the left side. Does it just pop off when I unscrew everything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 03:27 AM

Hi!
The clutch side cover is holding only on 3 things.
1) As I said, on the gasket, which probably will be damaged after removing the cover.
2) Couple of pins
3) The clutch cable lever (the bottom of the cover). To get the cable out, You should release it at the handlebar
The coolant pipe is not holding anything.
If the cover does not come off, take a rubber hammer and hit couple of times it slightly form the sides, very very gently.
Same thing for the other side cover.

The only thing I don't know is why should someone mess up the shiny chrome by painting it? It will never look better than it is.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

thank you, got it off!

now for the chain side cover.i got it off, but there are a couple wires connected to it. anyone know how to disconnect those?

Last edited by GolferScott; 07-07-2017 at 09:25 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 09:09 AM

That's no good Don't kill the screw head! Actually, it's not a Phillips head! It should be an ordinary hex!
If You can not get it open, the last thing is drilling the head off. I would try to warm it up with a heat gun.

EDIT
It's a common thing for an old metal screw in an aluminum socket.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

i was able to get the screw off, but it is a little stripped off. i will order a new one.

but i cant seem to figure out how to remove the wiring thats connected to the stator and case.

Last edited by GolferScott; 07-07-2017 at 11:15 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

i cant seem to find much online video or pictures on how to remove the stator on an VN800. i just need to remove the wires from the side cover.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

nevermind, i figured it out. i just took the entire stator and wiring out of the cover. i was hoping/thinking at first there was a wait to just disconnect the wire from the bike side or something easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode