Debaffle vs. straight exhaust? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Debaffle vs. straight exhaust?

Hey guys, newbie here and in the early planning stages of building out my bobber. I bought a Vulcan 800 and it has completely bone stock exhaust. I want it to sound like a typical bike with louder exhaust.

So i was looking around online at Cobra, Vance and Hines, etc. but then came across some threads and videos on people removing the baffle.

I ultimately want black exhaust, i will not have much if any chrome on my bike when i am done. So here is my question....

what is the difference in removing the baffle vs. just completely cutting the pipes about halfway back? essentially removing the back end where the baffle/muffler portion of the exhaust?

I was thinking of completely cutting it here, then adding on some black exhaust tips that will be visible and the remainder of the exhaust pipes that are remaining and chrome, will be wrapped in black exhaust tape.

other than the look, is this basically the same thing? debaffle is the same thing as straight pipes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:30 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 800cc
Color: Gray
Garage
My 800 has short/drag pipes, seems like the previous owner just chopped them off about half way and slapped on some slip-on tips. There shouldn't really be much/any difference in removing the baffle vs. cutting the pipes, you maybe lose some resonance by having less tube for sound to bounce around in but I don't know if it would noticeably change the sound. It's gonna be loud as hell either way.

Here's a pic of mine for reference, it's not black but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1494611435959.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	196066  

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -Rick Cook
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

i can only watch and listen to youtube videos... but how does a debaffled/straight pipes VN800 sound compared to something with Cobra or Vance and Hines exhaust? I want it to sound good and loud, but i dont want it to sound like a Nascar and be toooooo loud

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 08:49 AM

Actually, it's hard or almost impossible to compare Your own pipe mods to specially designed and calculated pipes, for example Cobra, Kalinski, Vance and Hines, Falcon etc. Almost all of these great brands are certified and properly balanced for optimal performance. When switching to any pipe mod, You will also have to do some carb adjustments, because any change in output should be followed by proper change in input (main jet, pilot jet...), or You will loose some engine power or at least get a decreased mileage. So, If You buy a complete set of branded pipes, You also get the exact tips what to change and adjust in Your carburetor for optimal performance.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 12:57 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
get the vance & hines cruzers for the 800

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 02:30 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Vulcan 800 Classic
Garage
When I was looking at getting new exhaust for my 800 I found the Cruzers were discontinued, so you would have to find a used set. Almost everything I found on ebay was in terrible shape, and not much less than the cost of a new set of pipes. I ended up finding a great set of V&H Straightshots and snatched them up. They were crazy loud before I made baffles for them.

Also, just cutting the mufflers off your pipes will change the look, but won't have much backpressure, so you will lose some performance. Plus they will likely be insanely loud. My recommendation would be to drill your baffles and see how you like the sound. If they don't end up sounding like what you want, or you really just can't stand the look, then try to find a used set of exhaust.

Never argue with a fool: onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 12:11 AM

Year/Make/Model: 1997/Vulcan/Classic
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Blue
I really like my cobras but they no longer make the style I have. The V&H look great and sound good too from what I have seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode