Front Pegs! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Front Pegs!

My VN800B bobber project is coming along. Of course, it sat for a couple of months before I got 'er out of my porch and back onto the road, and all that's needed is the front lights, paint, and tires.

On her maiden bobber-style voyage this past Sunday, I noticed that the gear shift peg and the rear brake peg are both way off where they need to be.

A little background: This bike came into my possession with Cobra "swept" floorboards installed. In keeping with the bobber theme, as well as making the bike narrow enough to fit through my porch door, I removed the boards and am going with pegs.

I have pegs which fit in the space, which look like this, except they have two posts which stick out, as opposed to one:
Kuryakyn Small ISO Footpegs without Adapter - Motorcycle Superstore

All this is to get to my question. How do I move the gear shift lever and rear brake pedal down? I tried adjusting the nut on the back of the rear brake, above the rear drum, but that only adjusted slack on the pedal.

Thanks,

-John

2016 Vaquero (mostly stock)
2005 VN800B Bobber (Blue Collar Bobbers kits)
1979 KZ650SR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 02:57 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 800cc
Color: Gray
Garage
There should be a bolt/screw underneath the brake pedal that moves it up and down. The gear shift lever has a connecting rod with locknuts that you have to loosen then turn the rod to adjust iirc

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -Rick Cook
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by braditz View Post
There should be a bolt/screw underneath the brake pedal that moves it up and down. The gear shift lever has a connecting rod with locknuts that you have to loosen then turn the rod to adjust iirc
Thanks!

Hopefully I'll get a chance to take care of this tonight, so I can ride the bobber to work tomorrow

-John

1979 KZ650SR

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Alright, so I used the info. from here to move the pedals, so thanks!

The gear shift lever was easy-peasy, but the brake pedal was different. I looked up some pics online, and my setup was not like those. On my bike, there was a tab on the back side (engine side) of the mounting bracket (in line with the brake cable). In this tab was a threaded hole, into which a bolt was inserted, up to a stop-nut. There's a "foot" on the back side of the pedal, in line with this tab. The pedal stops moving when the foot hits the bolt. I loosened the stop/lock nut on the aforementioned bolt, and then loosened said bolt. Then, tightened up the stop/lock nut, and the pedal was "lowered".

Either way, much easier and more comfortable to ride.

-John

1979 KZ650SR
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:16 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 800cc
Color: Gray
Garage
Sweet! Glad it worked out for you

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -Rick Cook
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by braditz View Post
Sweet! Glad it worked out for you
Thanks! Now I just gotta install the front lights and paint this sucker, and it'll be finally finished

-John

1979 KZ650SR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode