Carb needle shim mod or just move clip? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2002/ Kawasaki/800 Classic.
Displacement/CC's: 800CC
Color: Dark Purple and silver.
Carb needle shim mod or just move clip?

I am wondering, i am wrapping my custom pipes, what make they are i have no idea, but they are thick. I am wrapping from the head down past the bend a bit and wrapping the front all the way to the clamp that has two hex head screws holding that pipe on. The wrap should be a bit even at that point and not look bad. i am wrapping because the rear pipe is so hot and theres no heat shields and that means the heat is going under my seat making it very hot, it also makes my right leg very hot also.

Heres my question. I want to lift the carb needle(stock one i think is in there)to make the bike richer. It seems lean because of the excessive blueing on the pipes(but they were on the bike when i bought it and i am the third owner and the pipes has surface rust, so they have been on awhile, also the bolts attaching them are real rusty, but can be removed) also the rubber bushing on the back mount for the rear pipe is shot, all torn up but im leaving it as is, dont want to remove the rear pipe again. Ok seems lean, now do i have to shim the needle with a 0.20 shim under the clip, OR can i just move the clip down a notch? I mean i did all of this stuff on my Yamaha 650 duel carb bike, also rejetted it, but this single carb has me stumped.

So, should i use the shim under the clip or can i move the clip itself?

Thoughts?

Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 01:48 AM

I would take off the after burners first. Those will cause excessive heat popping on de cell an bluing pipes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 05:38 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
firstly, you said the carb needle in there now is the stock needle, then you said the needle has a clip and you want to move the clip down a notch, it cannot be both, the needle either is the stock needle or an aftermarket needle with notches and an e-clip, changing needle position because you think the bike is running lean and from the bluing of your pipes is not the correct method to be using to make carb changes, what year is your bike, what mods have been made to it, like is it stock airbox or aftermarket airbox, what mods have been done to the carb, what is the main jet size, what is the pilot jet size, does bike have stock needle or aftermarket needle, what air filter is on the bike

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btom View Post
firstly, you said the carb needle in there now is the stock needle, then you said the needle has a clip and you want to move the clip down a notch, it cannot be both, the needle either is the stock needle or an aftermarket needle with notches and an e-clip, changing needle position because you think the bike is running lean and from the bluing of your pipes is not the correct method to be using to make carb changes, what year is your bike, what mods have been made to it, like is it stock airbox or aftermarket airbox, what mods have been done to the carb, what is the main jet size, what is the pilot jet size, does bike have stock needle or aftermarket needle, what air filter is on the bike

I just need to know a quick method to richen it up a bit without taking the carb off.Afterburner was taken off last year, also i did not know that stock needles do not have C-clips. I have no idea what has been done to the carb. I bought the bike last july and have only put 1k miles on it. I can not see if the plug for the air fuel mixture has been drilled out at this point, i looked at the carb last year and said to myself, it looked way harder to deal with than my duel carbs i redid on my 08 yamaha 650 so i did not try and take it off. It is a 2002 with a stock airbox, i would think it has the 135 main jet in it if i was a betting man. The guy i bought it from owned it for 3 months and rode it twice, he knew nothing about the bike and looked to me like he would not have even known about asking about any carb work ever being done on it. I would hope that someone did the work, seeing the pipes have been on the bike for a LONG time. The bike has 13K miles. So now, would a 1/16 shim, or a #4 washer be enough to richen up the bike a bit(if i can possibly see that the screw has not been touched) for me to use the wrap and not have the bike run leaner? As for checking the plugs, i changed them last year and they were a tan color. Took me 2 hours to even try and figure out how to get the dang things out. What a horrid design, the plugs located directly under the main upper frame tube and then they are down inside the jug 6+ inches for gods sake. Getting them out with a socket and extension(and a swivel) is a nightmare i dont want to deal with again. Is there an easier way??

EDIT: Just wanted to add, the carb needles on my bone stock Yamaha had C-clips so i thought this carb would be the same. I did ALL of the mods just like the ones for this 800 to that bike(grampized) rejetted, shimmed needles, added cobra drag slip ons, forward controls, 4 inch curved risers and buckhorn handlebars, lowered the rear 4 inches, raised the front end 2 inches, made my own gel pad memory foam seat,clutch mod. That bike was much easier to get to everything, this Kawi has more hoses than a car. LOL.

EDIT2:Ok i was outside between thunderstorms and looked between the jugs at the carb. Now near the manifold end theres two tubes hanging down, Theres the one that looks like it has a triangle next to the hole, and the other is right across from it closer to the manifold, from the pictures on wolfs PDF for grampizing, that second tube is the mixture screw and where the cap should be. I used a dentists pick and my flashlight to poke into that tube and the tip of the pick went in 1/8-3/16 of an inch before it touched anything. Theres treads in the hole about 5-6ish i felt, i used the pick to very lightly scrape the wall of the tube inside and felt them. So if there was a plug, then i would not have been able to poke up into the hole right? The cap should have been flush with that down tube right? If so, then yes the carb has been worked on(as i can see, theres no cap), but i have yet to take the top off the carb and check the needle. I am guessing though that being that it has the stock airbox still on with no mod, that it is probably the stock needle in there.

Thats about all i can tell you, i removed the EPA crud and capped off everything the directions said to.

Thanks for any feedback.

Harry

Last edited by harryinny3; 06-05-2017 at 03:08 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Someone please

Can someone at least tell me if the silver cap is mounted flush with the end of the screw housing tube? This way i can at least know that if i can stick a dental pick in the hole and feel threads that the plug is probably out. I remember them being flush on my 08 Yamaha 650 with dual carbs i worked on.

Anyone with that info please.

Harry
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

I handled it

The silver cap was already out, i adjusted it out 3 1/2 turns and added a #4 washer to the needle. This should more than make up for the exhaust wrap i am adding. I am adding just over a foot and a half, or just a bit more to both pipes. The heat from them without heat shields is insane.

Thank you

Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode