Tree lock on my 800 classic - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2002/ Kawasaki/800 Classic.
Displacement/CC's: 800CC
Color: Dark Purple and silver.
Tree lock on my 800 classic

I finally found the security lock for the bike to lock the front forks. It was a pain to open, but now it is better since soaking it. Now, i have 3 keys. One ignition, one gas, and the other fits the lock. Now how the heck do you lock it? I have tried moving the forks around while trying to turn the key, i have also tried pushing in while trying to turn the key while pivoting the forks a but and theres no catch, it does not lock.

Could someone please explain how to lock it? The manual(i bought online) has no information on it as far as i can find. Any help really appreciated. Rode her home today WOOT! She is finally in the backyard under her own gazebo. Now i can put my cruise control on.

Respects

Harry

Going to try to link my facebook pictures of it until i can get some on my phone when it is nicer out.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...ze=1427%2C1357

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...ze=1432%2C1135

Last edited by harryinny3; 05-19-2017 at 05:09 PM. Reason: to add two links to photo's of my new(old) bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:21 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic (VN800-B)
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Metallic Nocturne Blue (C6)
Garage
Turn fork all the way left in parking position. Push in key, turn left, turn key right while moving the fork to the right. It'll click in. Took me some finessing to get it the first time.

2001 Vulcan Classic (VN800-B), North Salt Lake, UT - Newbie Rider, Amateur Computer Programmer, Gaming Enthusiast, Semi-Pro PC Builder, Hockey Fan, Husband, Father, Grandfather, Dog Owner
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscroop View Post
Turn fork all the way left in parking position. Push in key, turn left, turn key right while moving the fork to the right. It'll click in. Took me some finessing to get it the first time.
Does it click in or do you actually turn the key a half turn or so when it locks? I will try it. So far i night not have the right key. But the weird thing is i have three, one for the Ignition, One for the gas tank, and the other does not fit the tank or the ignition , can not remember if it is for the locking side plates or not. Will update when i try it. It is raining now so will attempt it Monday.

Thank you for answering.

Harry

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryinny3 View Post
Does it click in or do you actually turn the key a half turn or so when it locks? I will try it. So far i night not have the right key. But the weird thing is i have three, one for the Ignition, One for the gas tank, and the other does not fit the tank or the ignition , can not remember if it is for the locking side plates or not. Will update when i try it. It is raining now so will attempt it Monday.

Thank you for answering.

Harry
got my bike used with only one key.
that key fits ignition, gas tank, fork lock, side cover lock, and helmet lock - the whole bike.
(Maybe your tank cap was switched? maybe your side cover was switched?? should only be one key for the bike)

I never used the fork lock. I never use the helmet lock.
Had a "second key" made and have used that for three years, put the original away.
second key wont go in the fork lock or the helmet lock.
The original works all the locks, but with the fork lock it goes in and turns some,
but dosn't actually actuate the fork lock. (IDK?)

1964 Yamaha 90cc - hacked up to loose weight and riden in the dirt
1981 Suzuki 450E - bought new
1983 Suzuki 1100ES - bought new
1983 Yamaha Maxim 750 - resurrected from the scrap pile
1999 Vulcan 800 - resurrected from the scrap pile
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Brewster, That is exactly what my key is doing, all three of them. I tried all three in the lock and all but the gas key fit in the fork lock. The other two keys work in the ignition. They also work in both side compartments. Do you have any idea how i go about getting an original key for the bike? Is there a way to get the keys original number? Heck it being a 2002, the bike does not show up on the Vulcan/Kawasaki site to look up the bikes original information and i also can not register there with the bike. Makes me kind of mad that the bikes VIN does not show up.

So, Brewster or anyone else, where do i get a key that will work in my fork lock?

Harry
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryinny3 View Post
Brewster, That is exactly what my key is doing, all three of them. I tried all three in the lock and all but the gas key fit in the fork lock. The other two keys work in the ignition. They also work in both side compartments. Do you have any idea how i go about getting an original key for the bike? Is there a way to get the keys original number? Heck it being a 2002, the bike does not show up on the Vulcan/Kawasaki site to look up the bikes original information and i also can not register there with the bike. Makes me kind of mad that the bikes VIN does not show up.

So, Brewster or anyone else, where do i get a key that will work in my fork lock?

Harry
Don't know. Have a Kawasaki dealer near you? maybe they have an idea.
My bike is a 1999. just tried my original key again, fork lock turns, but still dosn't lock. second key won't even go in.
I'm sure someone has changed up your locks, that's why you have so many keys...

1964 Yamaha 90cc - hacked up to loose weight and riden in the dirt
1981 Suzuki 450E - bought new
1983 Suzuki 1100ES - bought new
1983 Yamaha Maxim 750 - resurrected from the scrap pile
1999 Vulcan 800 - resurrected from the scrap pile
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:46 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster_440 View Post
Don't know. Have a Kawasaki dealer near you? maybe they have an idea.
My bike is a 1999. just tried my original key again, fork lock turns, but still dosn't lock. second key won't even go in.
I'm sure someone has changed up your locks, that's why you have so many keys...
If lock turns with the key, its just a matter of getting the bars in the right position to lock them. I turn mine full left, then lightly wiggle the bars to the right to get it locked. This said, I bought the bike new in feb. 06 and have only locked the bars 4-5 times since. Mine came with 2 keys, but same key works all locks if they have not been change at some point.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode