Questions better suited for the 800 forum - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Red/Gold(ish)
Questions better suited for the 800 forum

A few questions in a longish post

So, I joined a few months ago to learn a few things about this bike of mine, which I've had since 2003. I have to say, I like the 800 for 90% of my riding but it falls a little short in some respects, like all bikes do.
But what I'd like to be able to do is go cross country, and the 800 is a little buzzy at highway speeds and after 30 miles or so those V&H Cruzers are getting on my nerves. The same sound that is cool puttering through town is like a knife in the ear on the interstate. Blah blah fast forward...I bought a Valkyrie! What a Beast!

However, I wouldn't feel right selling my deferred maintenance bike to some poor sap, so I've been doing some stuff.
New tire and tube on the rear last year because it needed it. New tire and tube on the front this year because it was original and hard as a marble. I'm sure it would last another 50k but it had no grip, like riding a marble. New front brake pads while I was there, and bleed and fill with fresh DOT4. Didn't really need the pads due to my riding style, but it would give a new owner piece of mind, no?

Now it gets a little more interesting. I ignored the valve adjustments, but since seeing a Youtube vid of a trashed engine that has been on my mind so...off comes the gas tank and SunnyBeach, the petcock is leaking. Off comes everything else necessary to do the valves and so I checked them. To my surprise, they are in spec. However, one of the intakes was a tight .10. I have every confidence they'd make it to the 24k mark no problem since they've barely moved from new.

First question: Would you change out a snug .10?

Next, I did the petcock repair as described in another Youtube video, and to my surprise it worked, so second question: Has anyone else done this and does the repair last? I stretched the spring and replaced the O-ring, so I have 20 cents invested and it passed the suck test.

Now that I've been messing with the bike (I also changed the plugs and the front looked real good, the rear a little darker), polishing this and that, I've decided I'm going to ask a good price for this bike. I think if a buyer can ride away and not have to worry about anything but gas, that's a hell of a lot better than a lot of us get with a used bike.
Dirty secret; I want to keep it, but the wife...at any rate, what's a man to do if everyone low-balls me? Guess I may have to ride it until someone meets my price. Heh.
Also, I'm looking at this stuff on my bench and think perhaps now is the time to do the "desmog epa" thing.
What are the upside and downside of doing this mod. Is there a noticeable gain in performance or mileage?

. .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEyedJack View Post
A few questions in a longish post
First question: Would you change out a snug .10?
If it's on minus normal, I would. If it's on plus, I would not. Usually gaps are tending the get smaller.

Quote:
Next, I did the petcock repair as described in another Youtube video, and to my surprise it worked, so second question: Has anyone else done this and does the repair last? I stretched the spring and replaced the O-ring, so I have 20 cents invested and it passed the suck test.
No long lasting guarantee. I would simply go for new Suzuki petcock for couple of bucks from ebay.

Quote:
Also, I'm looking at this stuff on my bench and think perhaps now is the time to do the "desmog epa" thing.
What are the upside and downside of doing this mod. Is there a noticeable gain in performance or mileage?
As far as I know, there's only one drawback when removing EPA. You will not meet the pollution standards any more. Everything else is better mileage, slight engine boost, lower temperature, cleaner engine oil.

EDIT
Almost forgot! My cylinders are separated now!

Last edited by tehnis; 05-15-2017 at 12:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode