heat shields on new stock exhaust... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Red and black
Garage
heat shields on new stock exhaust...

I bought my Vulcan a couple years ago with Cobra pipes. They seem OK to me; but the wife hates how loud they are. I do feel bad taking off early Sunday mornings (I live in a row home, so I have attached neighbors). In any case, the wife's rules rule.

Ebay found some originals in not too bad shape. They are missing some pieces though. Most importantly, the large heat shields. Cheapcycleparts.com has them for $105/each. I'm wondering if I could get away with some generic shields from Cobra or someone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 06:17 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot View Post
I bought my Vulcan a couple years ago with Cobra pipes. They seem OK to me; but the wife hates how loud they are. I do feel bad taking off early Sunday mornings (I live in a row home, so I have attached neighbors). In any case, the wife's rules rule.

Ebay found some originals in not too bad shape. They are missing some pieces though. Most importantly, the large heat shields. Cheapcycleparts.com has them for $105/each. I'm wondering if I could get away with some generic shields from Cobra or someone.
Know the sayin Happy wife Happy life,Wait dont have one
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 09:37 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
A couple options. 1 universal heat shields, 2 exhaust header wrap available from most auto parts store, and 3 although may not the best option, different wife. Just kidding on that one. I did have an extra set, but not sure I still have them, but will look when I get a chance. If I find them, will get back to you.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
A couple options. 1 universal heat shields, 2 exhaust header wrap available from most auto parts store, and 3 although may not the best option, different wife. Just kidding on that one. I did have an extra set, but not sure I still have them, but will look when I get a chance. If I find them, will get back to you.
Along those lines, Blue Collar Bobbers has the exhaust wrap kit (wrap, ties, etc.) for like $20. Also includes instructions. I can't say enough good things about that company and the products they sell!

-John

2016 Vaquero (mostly stock)
2005 VN800B Bobber (Blue Collar Bobbers kits)
1979 KZ650SR
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 07:40 PM

i have "stock" exhaust pipes - I cut them open, sectioned them into three pieces and took out the inner 1" tube, then removed the baffles. welded it all back up. put on heat wrap from autozone (1" stuff, one roll, i believe 15-20 feet) Then put on the stock heat shields. bike is loud, but has the factory look, but has virtually open exhaust at 1-3/4" and therefore i'm in stealth mode. ha ha

anyway, my point is, the bike looked good with just the heat wrap. i can take off the backrest, the windscreen, and the stock pipe shields and the bike goes into bad ass mode.
But, really it looks good with just the wrap. you could wrap it while you search for shield alternatives. check ebay too, and do a "save search".

1964 Yamaha 90cc - hacked up to loose weight and riden in the dirt
1981 Suzuki 450E - bought new
1983 Suzuki 1100ES - bought new
1983 Yamaha Maxim 750 - resurrected from the scrap pile
1999 Vulcan 800 - resurrected from the scrap pile
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan
Color: Red and black
Garage
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Rick, if you find those shields and don't want them anymore, I'm sure we can work a deal.

Otherwise, I'll try one of the other solutions that will cost significantly less that what the website was quoting.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 07:38 PM
Bike Of The Summer Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800A
Color: Blue
Garage
The wrap is good depending on your style of bike. Then just get some universal heat shields and clamp them on. As far as making your bike quiet, that will still run you a bit for new mufflers unless you get a 2 to 1 made and then you just have to buy one.

Can't touch this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode