What are these washers for? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 1997 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 805
Color: Red
What are these washers for?

I'm investigating the carb on my VN800a and took off the cover to get to the needle valve.

These two washers fell out.

What are they for??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

They go on the needle, yes?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 PM

I believe they are to hold the stop spring (not the spring in your picture) in tension. Google your bike name, size and "carburetor diagram" and you will find a schematic.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave43 View Post
They go on the needle, yes?
Yes! Exactly! To protect a little snap ring on the needle. Nothing else.

Last edited by tehnis; 03-21-2017 at 01:37 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehnis View Post
Yes! Exactly! To protect a little snap ring on the needle. Nothing else.
Oh, I guess I should put them back on?
Because the needle has several slots cut in it for the snap ring, I figured I would just move the snap ring to the slot that corresponds with the position that the washers would place it, and leave the washers off.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:39 AM

Yes! Put them back The snap ring and those grooves are for adjusting the needle height, but the washers are generally just for preventing the whole combination to misbehave while moving.

Actually, some guys say that it would be enough with only one washer there. Yes, that's true. (And in my opinion nothing bad would happen even with no washers at all. ) So, why there are two washers? Well, there's no exact answer. I red a lot of ideas. Nothing convinces me really. Some guys believe that these washers also are used for adjusting the needle height. In the way, If You use only one washer it's thinner than one big groove step, but the combination of two washers together are thicker than one big groove step. Or something like that....
Personally I don't believe in such a religion. This carb is not so accurate by default So, the best way is to leave them there and do other interesting adjustments

P.S.
If someone has a better explanation of this, please share Your thoughts here. It would be interesting.

Last edited by tehnis; 03-21-2017 at 10:42 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 11:51 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2002/Vulcan/Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrdave43 View Post
I'm investigating the carb on my VN800a and took off the cover to get to the needle valve.

These two washers fell out.

What are they for??

Funny! I was cleaning and checking my carb last night and the same thing happened. "Where did these come from" I asked myself. I figured out that they had to have come off the needle. I put it back together and everything ran fine so i guess i was correct.

Mike
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 04:22 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
those 2 little washers come in a dynojet kit with adjustable needle, and they go directly on top of the e-clip that's on the needle, the reason for the 2 washers is to keep the needle from bouncing up and down when your bike rides over bumps in the road, those 2 washers take the place of the thickness of the stock needle head that fits neatly inside the underside of that white plastic needle holder

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btom View Post
those 2 little washers come in a dynojet kit with adjustable needle, and they go directly on top of the e-clip that's on the needle, the reason for the 2 washers is to keep the needle from bouncing up and down when your bike rides over bumps in the road, those 2 washers take the place of the thickness of the stock needle head that fits neatly inside the underside of that white plastic needle holder
They go on top!

That makes sense because I do not recall removing the needle prior to the washers falling out.

Okay, so I have to put the clip back in the right place and then put the washers on the top of the clip, not the bottom.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 01:32 AM

gtrdave43,
In theory, if these washers are used as an extra way to adjust the needle height, they should be only on the long end of the needle. It means, only under the snap ring. Otherwise, there is no reason to use any. In some resources they are being called "needle shims".
If You doubt me, there's an interesting site about how some guy was re-jetting the Triumph CVK.
https://triumphbonneville.org/re-jet...vk-carburetor/
See Shim 1.

Last edited by tehnis; 03-23-2017 at 01:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode