Apprehensive about front fork rebuild. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 1998/Kawasaki/Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Green
Garage
Apprehensive about front fork rebuild.

I have an 800 Classic I bought last year with just under 30k miles on it. No idea if the forks were ever rebuilt, have to assume not. I am a new rider, but it sure doesn't seem right that any braking amount, and the front of the bike dives in several inches very quickly. Kind of feel like there is no oil in the forks.

I bought two bottles of fork oil, and a bushing and seal kit. But it's' been sitting in my garage all winter (except the few times it was warm enough to ride this winter in Michigan) and I just can't seem to bring myself to tear into the bike. I have already done a little work last year on the rear end and back wheel, but dismantling the front of my bike just has me worried, I am not sure at all what to expect. I have watched a couple youtube videos but none of the ones I have seen are on a similar bike to mine, that I can tell anyway.

I downloaded a copy of the service manual, I guess that should tell me everything I need to know, right?

Anyone have any tips or tricks or things to watch out for when I rip the front end off my beautiful bike apart?

Thanks, Kevin.

Kevin
The crazy bear from the north.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:34 PM
BOTSpring Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 1995
Color: Gold
Call me to discuss it. I just did it and it's easy. One step at a time taking apart, photograph as you go. Read the manual, torque correctly. Easier to talk than type. I sent you a personal message. Steve
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:39 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I have an 05 800 Classic with all original seals at 111k miles. I did replace the springs with Progressives and changed the fork oil to 15w. This is also my 1st bike, well at the time. My brother helped me because he had a jack. All together it took about 2 hours and made a world of difference. If there is no sign of oil leaking around the forks, this may be all you need. Mine was sagging about 1/2-3/4" is at rest before doing this. i believe I had around 60k miles at the time.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Unfortunately I didn't get your message till after I woke up this morning, and the forum will not let me reply to your private message as I am a new member here still. I will try giving you a call later on tonight. I'm East coast time, so I will try to call before I go to bed tonight. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shores View Post
Call me to discuss it. I just did it and it's easy. One step at a time taking apart, photograph as you go. Read the manual, torque correctly. Easier to talk than type. I sent you a personal message. Steve

Kevin
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have seen several people mention going to progressive springs, I looked them up seem they are easy to find online for only like $80. Is there any better brand or are they all the same basically?

This isn't the first bike I have ridden much, but is the first that I owned. I borrowed a friends 1974 Goldwing GL1000 naked bike to learn on some years ago. Up until I wrecked it at highway speeds. Still don't remember what happened, just remember waking up ragdolling down the highway. I now own a leather jacket and will not ride without it. Still have the same helmet as it only got scuffs on it, but my t-shirt didn't slow the freeway pavement down much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
I have an 05 800 Classic with all original seals at 111k miles. I did replace the springs with Progressives and changed the fork oil to 15w. This is also my 1st bike, well at the time. My brother helped me because he had a jack. All together it took about 2 hours and made a world of difference. If there is no sign of oil leaking around the forks, this may be all you need. Mine was sagging about 1/2-3/4" is at rest before doing this. i believe I had around 60k miles at the time.

Kevin
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:58 PM
BOTSpring Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 1995
Color: Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBear View Post
I have seen several people mention going to progressive springs, I looked them up seem they are easy to find online for only like $80. Is there any better brand or are they all the same basically?

This isn't the first bike I have ridden much, but is the first that I owned. I borrowed a friends 1974 Goldwing GL1000 naked bike to learn on some years ago. Up until I wrecked it at highway speeds. Still don't remember what happened, just remember waking up ragdolling down the highway. I now own a leather jacket and will not ride without it. Still have the same helmet as it only got scuffs on it, but my t-shirt didn't slow the freeway pavement down much.
RaceTech front springs. You can get them to match your weight amd are similar price as progressives. Excellent reviews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode