Straightshots TOO FRIGGEN LOUD - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Vulcan 800 Classic
Garage
Straightshots TOO FRIGGEN LOUD

So, I got the straightshot that I ordered on my bike. The installation went fairly smooth, though I think I need to get some longer exhaust studs. Anyway, I took the bike for a short ride and mother of GOD these pipes are so loud. They have the stock "baffles" in them, but I am convinced they do nothing. I'd rather not have the cops giving me any more attention that I absolutely need, so I need to quiet the pipes down, or go back to stock pipes, which would mean I wasted $250 on these ones.

I've looked into several options to quiet them down a bit. First thing I did was try putting some 1 1/2" drain strainer things up inside the baffles, as I read that could help quiet it down, but after starting the bike up they don't seem to have done much, if anything at all. I only started the bike and let it idle, so I will take it for a test spin when the rain stops. Other than that I found two options: Vance and Hines quiet baffles, and Smartpantz Hard Kore baffles. Now, technically Vance and Hines never made a quiet baffle for the Straightshot Classics, but the baffles are only off by 1/8", and I have 1/16" stove gasket that I use for work that I could put around it to snug it up a bit. Reviews on these things range from awesome, to some people saying they don't quiet the pipes down at all. The Hard Kore baffles also claim to quiet the exhaust down fairly significantly, but again, some people say they are awesome and some say they didn't do much of anything. Price of the V&H quiet baffles Vs. the Hard Core baffles is basically the same once I factor in shipping and USD to CAD conversion rates.

Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone has attempted to deal with the noise of the Straightshots in one of these, or perhaps some other way I haven't thought of/read about.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:53 AM

My wife's Sportster 1200 came with V&H Straight Shots on it... and was damned loud!

I installed a set of V&H baffles that my motorcycle guy ordered for me ... they brought the noise level down quite a bit (no more headaches for her!)

-John

2016 Vaquero (mostly stock)
2005 VN800B Bobber (Blue Collar Bobbers kits)
1979 KZ650SR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode