A few questions about the VN800A front end - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

A few questions about the VN800A front end

I am planning my chop starting with my front end. All planning right now.

I have a few questions for those who know about the vn800A front end. My plans are to rake and extend for as little money as possible, so no chopper kits for $1500....
My first thought is to lower and hardtail the rear 3-4 inches by replacing the shock on the swingarm with a shorter solid strut. The rake of the 800 is oem 34 degrees and using the inch for inch formula if I drop the back by 4 inches that gives me 38 degrees.

Now I know I can get a set of raked trees but their $500 on a good day. What I'm wondering is, is there a set of raked cups I might be able to get 2-3 more degrees from??

I'm also wondering if there is another front end with longer forks that fir these oem trees?

Also is is hard to swap the oem front end on this bike for a harley and if so is it only specific front ends and which ones?

The back end, cups and some extended forks by Frank (since I don't think we can get simple extensions) would leave me at about 5-$600 for a complete chopper front end.

I'm also thinking if fork extensions don't work for our front end is there one we can swap that has fork extensions?

Also how hard do you think it might be to go with girder forks? It's my last resort cost wise if it can be done without to much fabrication.

I know I'm asking a lot but if I find an answer and I'm the ginée pig than we might just put seeker and those other bolt on chopper guys out a business :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

No one here has a raked front end or knows anything about the specs?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:08 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I saw something about fork extenders a couple weeks ago. The fit into the top of your forks and add 3-4" to the length. I'm not sure I'd like them myself but its something you can look into.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

You know, I have been seeing that as well on threads and a website here http://www.bikercom.com/shop/index.p...=1&md=1&ref=58
Only problem is a few things...
1. They show threads on the extensions and from what I understand our fork tube are not threaded.
2. I wrote them and asked about the compatability and never received a reply.
The 3rd thing is I can't find them anywhere else nor can I seem to find anyone who has them.

If you do know of a way to do it and where to get them, it would be greatly appriciated. I would certainly do it in a heartbeat, at least to hold me over until I can scrape together the scratch I would need for a springer or girder.

Thanks for the hope my friend please let me know if you find out more....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

I haven't heard of anyone having found fork extensions for the vn800 if they have I would very much like to know where so I can buy a pair. I know biker.com has a pair but they are threaded and I emailed them to make sure they are legit (since they are the only seller claiming to have them) and I got no reply.
My next step If I can't find them is to see if there is a pair of upper fork tube from another bike that will fit ours and use extensions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode