Carb leak - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan VN800 B Classic
Garage
Carb leak

2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic. 25000+ Miles

I'm having fuel leak from the carb and the fuel petcock doesn't seem to fully shutoff no matter what position its in. The bike is having a hard time idling unless i open up the throttle. Im assuming this is because it's receiving too much fuel and opening the throttle plate is letting more air through?

Any help is truly appreciated. Other than this little problem i love the bike. Look forward to hearing from you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 04:04 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Vulcan 800 Classic
Garage
It sounds like you should take a look at your carb float and make sure it's not stuck, and adjusted to the proper level, and check to see if your petcock is leaking in the ON position. The petcock has a diaphragm and is vacuum operated, so it shouldn't leak when in the ON position, however if it is in the PRI position it the gas will flow freely.

If it were me, I'd start at the tank and work my way down, ensuring everything is in good shape. You may need to rebuild the petcock, and probably clean/rebuild your carb. You could put an additional in-line fuel filter in the fuel line to prevent future issues as well.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey Beans,

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to replace the petcock and take a look at the carb float this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. Wish me luck!

Jarman

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 06:45 PM
BOTSpring Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 1995
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Gold
A bad O ring inside the petcock will allow a leak. Replace it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Feeling discouraged...

I apologize for the long post in advance. Just trying to give as much info as possible.

So i took the carburetor off last night (couldn't wait until the weekend) But now i'm feeling hopeless... Here's how things went.

I was surprised to find that the fuel tank petcock worked flawlessly. Put in the "ON" position the flow of fuel stopped completely. Not sure if i did something wrong before or what? Im sure that i will have to replace it eventually but for now i'm more focused on the carb.

I managed to get the carburetor off and cleaned the bowl. The bottom of the float bowl was gross (looked like sand got in there) I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the float valve needle in fact, it looked new to me (of course i don't know much). The float moved up and down freely and the needle seemed to go in and out no problem. Im looking at replacements for the needle and noticed that they all seem to have a black rubber tip. I could be wrong but i don't remember the tip of mine being black or rubber. Maybe the previous owner put in the wrong needle? I know that it was re-jetted... could this be why?

The gasket in the float bowl looked pretty beat and i'm missing a screw from the bowl (there are 4 corners and i have 3 screws) i wasn't happy about this as i have no idea where to find such a specific screw.

I cleaned everything as best as i could and put everything (that i had) back together. No luck. The carb is still leaking, in fact worse and now i believe the gasket which must have been kept sealed with grime is not liquid tight anymore.

So. Where do i find a rebuild kit for this carburetor? I've been looking on google all morning and wasn't able to find anything. I found the parts here: 2001 Kawasaki VULCAN 800 DRIFTER (VN800-E1) Carburetor(1/3) | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse
Do i really need to order individual parts like this?

I've read that you can use a rebuild kit for a Harley Davidson carburetor. Does anyone have a link to such a kit that has been successful?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
@Shores

Are you saying that a bad o-ring will cause a leak in the carb or at the Petcock when the fuel line is disconnected?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 11:54 AM

Garage
Things are not hopeless! Firstly, if there was shmoo in the carb bowl then there is probably some in the tank, petcock and possibly the fuel line. The "proper" thing to do would be clean those three items and put in fresh gas so you know you're not dirtying up your carbs over and over again. If you don't want to clean the tank and petcock yet then my vote is get an in-line fuel filter and put it between the petcock and the carb. Secondly, the actual issue of having a leaking carb, it sound like your float needle is missing the rubber tip! That is the part that seals the supply of gas when the level in the bowl is full, so it would definitely cause a leak if it's not sealing. I would call a local motorcycle shop and ask how much a rebuild kit is. They can usually get aftermarket parts, but they might need to order genuine parts. Other than that, there is always eBay. In regards to the missing screw, mine actually was also missing a screw when I took it apart for my airbox mod. I went to a local fastener supply store and picked up a few stainless allan head screws to replace all 4. Take one out and bring it with you so you get the correct thread pitch and length.

Never argue with a fool: onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 11:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjarman88 View Post

Are you saying that a bad o-ring will cause a leak in the carb or at the Petcock when the fuel line is disconnected?
A bad o-ring in the petcock will make the petcock leak, but the float in the carburetor is supposed to shut off the flow of gas when it reaches a certain point. In your case, the float or float needle does not appear to be doing it's job.

Never argue with a fool: onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks so much beans! Ive ordered a new needle and gasket for the bowl. Ill keep you posted. Thanks again for the reply.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 05:56 PM
BOTSpring Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 1995
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans View Post
A bad o-ring in the petcock will make the petcock leak, but the float in the carburetor is supposed to shut off the flow of gas when it reaches a certain point. In your case, the float or float needle does not appear to be doing it's job.
+1...Take the petcock itself apart and replace O ring and replace the float needle. I don't think we can replace the needle seat so of it is worn you will need a new carb body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode