Where to buy rear sprocket? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bagger_Vance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Where to buy rear sprocket?

Previous owner changed out the chain just before I purchased my 2003 VN800D a few months ago. I want to replace the rear sprocket with either a 39T or 40T steel (keeping stock 17T front) but struggling to find the best source. I did some checking through old posts but didn't find anything so if someone can point me in the right direction I appreciate it.

2003 VN800BOBBER
La Rosa 13" diamond stitch seat
BCB seat mounting kit
BCB rear fender
LED lighting
Shinko 777 whitewalls
12" ape hangers w/ internal wiring
Debaffled exhausted with wrap
Custom quick detach backrest/luggage rack
19T/39T sprockets (I HAVE 6TH GEAR)
eBay special swing arm bag
No front fender
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 12:53 PM

Why don't You go for ebay? Lots of selleres, lots of choices and brands.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Thought about it but didn't know if there was a better choice than others. Thanks.

2003 VN800BOBBER
La Rosa 13" diamond stitch seat
BCB seat mounting kit
BCB rear fender
LED lighting
Shinko 777 whitewalls
12" ape hangers w/ internal wiring
Debaffled exhausted with wrap
Custom quick detach backrest/luggage rack
19T/39T sprockets (I HAVE 6TH GEAR)
eBay special swing arm bag
No front fender

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

I just bought a JT 39T off Amazon for $27 with Prime shipping. Pretty good deal, I think. I'm always searching for 6th gear so hope this will help some without giving up too much on the bottom end. This thing is a pooch to begin with and hope I like the 39T after I do my engine mods.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 12:56 PM

Amazon is also an option, but don't get too excited with too cheap unknown brand China products! They don't last long. Well, actually it depends what You choose for what and how You ride But, anyway, if You have a good chain it's better to go for good sprockets. Everything will last much longer. Stock sprockets and chain with proper care can last more than 15-20k miles.
I don't say that Chine kung fu always no good. Different metals have different wear levels. If sprockets are too hard they will eat Your chain off faster. Cheap hard ones can even break. If they are too soft, they don't last long and can even bend. There are also aluminum and titan sprockets for specific racing, stunts, whatever. They will not be appropriate for everyday use.
In my opinion, good aftermarket rear ordinary sprocket for ordinary oring chain should cost not less than 40 (or even 50) bucks. In way of hardness it should be compatible with Your (ordinary, if You have such one) chain.
And if there's time to change whole set, the best way is to buy a chain with sprockets in one kit.
So, be careful!
P.S.
Bagger_Vance, sorry for my philosophy I'm not trying to teach or judge anyone here. I just hope it helps someone who is trying to figure out same sprocket thing
In most cases ordinary steel sprockets should be ok.

Last edited by tehnis; 01-29-2017 at 01:28 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehnis View Post
Amazon is also an option, but don't get too excited with too cheap unknown brand China products! They don't last long. Well, actually it depends what You choose for what and how You ride But, anyway, if You have a good chain it's better to go for good sprockets. Everything will last much longer. Stock sprockets and chain with proper care can last more than 15-20k miles.
I don't say that Chine kung fu always no good. Different metals have different wear levels. If sprockets are too hard they will eat Your chain off faster. Cheap hard ones can even break. If they are too soft, they don't last long and can even bend. There are also aluminum and titan sprockets for specific racing, stunts, whatever. They will not be appropriate for everyday use.
In my opinion, good aftermarket rear ordinary sprocket for ordinary oring chain should cost not less than 40 (or even 50) bucks. In way of hardness it should be compatible with Your (ordinary, if You have such one) chain.
And if there's time to change whole set, the best way is to buy a chain with sprockets in one kit.
So, be careful!
P.S.
Bagger_Vance, sorry for my philosophy I'm not trying to teach or judge anyone here. I just hope it helps someone who is trying to figure out same sprocket thing
In most cases ordinary steel sprockets should be ok.
Thanks for the input and I agree with everything you said. I bought a JT rear 39T off Amazon yesterday (see my post just before yours) and the o-ring chain has less than 100 miles on it (bike has 17k). The front sprocket looks in good shape so I should be set. I'm used to buying HD stuff and know those products inside and out.
tehnis likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode