2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 1997 Kawasaki Vulcan VN800 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 800
Color: Black
Garage
issues...

Hello. My97 Vulcan 800 has a 4 day old battery in it. started just fine up until yesterday and it won't start unless push started. Solenoid under the seat makes fast clicking noise and starter doesn't turn when attempting electric start.

Another thing. My headlight is out despite the new expensive bulb. Checked fuse box on the bike's left side under the seat and the fuses appeared to be fine. Checked connections and the endings on the inside of the connectors and they too appeared to be fine. Anywhere I could find a new headlight wiring harness specifically? I'd like to to be as plug and play as possible

Last edited by Damien; 01-18-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:03 PM

Almost sounds like you have a bad battery. Have you tried jumping it from a known good battery? Your vehicle will be fine to jump it with as long as you do not have the vehicle running. Have you checked the charging system voltage?

'08 1500 Classic
'06 Honda Silverwing 600
'05 750 Vulcan (gone)
'02 800 Intruder (gone)
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I haven't checked the voltage on the charging system. I have yet to purchase a multimeter. What points would I be checking from?
Also that'll be the second battery it has gone through. I replaced the stator and regulator about 2 days ago. It sucked the life out of the battery I had literally just purchased for it on the 29th of December when I ran it that day. Got the new battery after I replaced the stator and regulator, ran it a few times and now it doesn't have enough juice to start.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:55 PM
Top Contributor

If the bike can be started, a place to start when checking voltage is at the battery terminals. The voltage should be in the neighborhood of 13.8 - 14 volts with the engine running. Check voltage with the engine idling and also at above idle speed. You mentioned that you had a new bulb in the headlight - is that bulb one which has a higher lighting output than OEM? If when doing the elementary voltage check as above the voltage is OK, then if your headlamp is a high output type it may be that the bike's charging system doesn't deliver enough current to run the headlight and take care of the bike's other electrical requirements, which eventually will deplete the battery.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
the bulb does have a higher output than OEM. i replaced the original because the headlight stopped working so i got a new one to rule out the possibility of it being the bulb. Another thing i'm wondering about is after a run, my gas cap lets out a soft tooooooooooooooot or a gentle whistle. Why is this? once i open the gas cap, a release of pressure follows as if there was a build up of vapors within the tank. Is this normal?
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 06:50 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
the bulb does have a higher output than OEM. i replaced the original because the headlight stopped working so i got a new one to rule out the possibility of it being the bulb. Another thing i'm wondering about is after a run, my gas cap lets out a soft tooooooooooooooot or a gentle whistle. Why is this? once i open the gas cap, a release of pressure follows as if there was a build up of vapors within the tank. Is this normal?
Gas cap is venting,does it on my 1700,normal
Damien likes this.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 07:53 PM
Top Contributor

Headlight will not work if charging system is not functioning correctly.

Why did you replace the stator and reg/rect?
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 12:41 AM

1) My experience tells me that any new car/motorcycle/whatever battery should always be fully charged prior using.
2) Not having a simple multi-meter is really a pain. Well, You can take a simple low wattage 12V bulb and make a simple wire tester to find out if there's a voltage on any electrical contact in wiring, but it will not help to test Your alternator for charging abilities
3) Go the easiest way. Get a multimeter or a simple voltmeter first.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ah I see. With a new stator and regulator (replaced because the seller said it did need a new one), what could be the issue with the charging system?
My tail and brake lights work minus the signal lights since I took those off to replace them.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 09:54 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Garage
Another thing i'm wondering about is after a run, my gas cap lets out a soft tooooooooooooooot or a gentle whistle. Why is this?

that can happen when filling up the gas tank too full to the top and gas gets into the air vent tube which then creates a blockage of air to the tank which then creating a vacuum inside the tank, just blow out that vent hole somehow at the gas cap opening to expel any gas that's inside that air vent tube

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode