Smoke - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Smoke

Howdy all?

I did buy a decent 2001 VN800 classic a few months ago. I got it not running and with some issues. The petcock was leaking and the crankcase has been flooded with gas a couple of times. I finally got the petcock issue fixed by buying a cheap, compatible, petcock from Amazon. The only issue was that the gas line was meant for a 1/4" rather than the weird gas line that Kawasaki has decided to use. Anyway, to fix this issue I used a piece of clear tubing and a clamp to tighten the gas line. Now the petcock is not leaking any more.
However, when I started the bike I had a ton of smoke coming from the pipes. It seemed like oil was being burned at a fairly high rate.
Some more details that can be useful for you gurus of the VN800 bike: The crankcase was full way above the top level mark because gas has leaked onto the crankcase and got mixed with the oil. I plan on removing the oil and starting from scratch. I hope this will fix my problems. I seem to be on the edge of having everything fixed but I do not know for sure.
Can someone please chime in and tell me what issue, or issues, I might be dealing with? I will definitely report back once I have removed the old oil mixed with gas and replaced it with fresh oil.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

by the way, for those of you that are having serious issues with their petcocks, here is what solved the problem for me. It is not as good a quality as the original Kawasaki petcock, but at this price, I can afford to have a few of them and if any one fails, I can always replace it easily.
The ONLY issue is the gas line that is way bigger than the gas connector for this petcock. However, if you use a small clamp, the problem will be fixed very easily. I bought an entire box of clamps for a few dollars from Harbor Freight.
I am not related to the people selling these petcocks nor am I related to Harbor Freight. I am just providing some information I am hoping would be useful to some Vulcan 800 riders.
Link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 07:40 PM
Top Contributor

1. What color is the smoke?
2. How many miles on the bike?
3. Have you checked the valves?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Never mind my thread. The smoke was just the engine getting rid of the nasty stuff that was left inside. It now runs as smooth as butter and no smoke whatsoever.
The smoke was white by the way. The bike has just a tad over 9000 miles. I have not checked the valves. That will be my next task now that I have the bike running again.
I took it for a long spin and I was all smiles during the entire ride.
Thank you all for your help.
Life is good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode