POOGS SIMILARITIES, I have tried everything. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 95 Vulcan 800
POOGS SIMILARITIES, I have tried everything.

Hey guys I'm new to this forum even though I've browsed it in the past. I am having a little bit of a problem with my bike. When I am running on a full tank and I put about 100 or so miles on her and get her to about a half tank my bike will sputter and cut out and act like it's running out of gas until it dies. I have flipped it to reserve and it has no affect. I have even ran from a full tank with it on reserve the whole time and it has no affect. I have changed my petcock to a manual petcock, I don't know if that would cause this though. I have removed the afterburner EGR type crap as well. Anyways, the bike will consistently die every single time I put about 100 miles on it from a full tank I watch my filter go dry and then soon after it dies. I pull over to the side of the road and pop the gas cap and it has no affect. There is no air wooshing sound. I have removed the little plastic valves inside of the gas cap and drilled out the holes on the bottom side of the gas cap to make them just a tiny bit bigger. I have cleaned my tank vent line and my carb vent line with carb cleaner and can blow compressed air through them. The only thing that has any affect at all is when I take the carb vent line off from the side of the bike and blow air into it when I'm on the side of the road and it will fill up my carb bowl and filter and then I'm good to go until it does it again after a few miles until I can make it to the gas station. I'm stumped here, does anyone have any suggestions?

Whatever the universal nature assigns to any man at any time is for the good of that man at that time. -Marcus Aurelius
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:15 PM

Did the problem start after the petcock change? How long are the tubes on the petcock?

1996 VN800A
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Maybe a foot or so. I am not sure, I put the filter on there about the same time I changed the petcock and it didn't really have any issues afterwards.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 04:51 AM

So, the only thing that's coming on my mind is still the carburetor. Did You disassemble it fully when cleaning?
Sounds like there's not enough vacuum for petcock pump. When Your tank is full, obviously the fuel pressure is bigger than when it gets emptier.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

I completely disassembled the carb and soaked every metal piece in chem dip. I don't have a vacuum petcock anymore. I understand stand the whole head pressure thing in the fuel tank ya. Backflushed the carb yesterday while it was still on the bike by putting a piece of hose on the fuel drain and blowing through it with the drain open. Drained out 2 gallons of fuel from a nearly full tank to put it back in its problem range and it idled forever. Couldn't ride it to test it yesterday. But did great idling....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 09:27 PM

If it was me I would run it until it acted up, then take the fuel line off of the outlet of the filter and see if gas flows. If it doesn't then take the line off the tank side of the filter and see if it flows. This will eliminate half the equation... ie petcock/tank vents etc.

If you get a good flow from the filter it seems like the carb isn't venting properly.

1996 VN800A
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

I removed the filter yesterday. Going on a long ride today and I'll update post after I get back and see if that made a difference... who knows.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Well the bike seemed to run great today well past it's trouble spot of approximately 100 miles. I guess it was the stupid fuel filter that was causing my problem.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 07:38 PM

What kind of filter? I put a Russell filter on my 800 and haven't had any problems.

1996 VN800A
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Some kind of WIX paper filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode