Is 0.5 psi loss on rear tire in 48 hrs ok? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By hayes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
Is 0.5 psi loss on rear tire in 48 hrs ok?

'05 800, I gave the shop my front and rear wheels and the Michelins had them do the swap, they reused both tubes and I think they are OEM tubes because the rear I am checking now has the 90 degree metal stem, so this was a few month ago and they set the pressure on the rear at 35.5 psi. So 2 weeks I used one of my expensive digital tire gauges to check pressure on the rear and it was at 35.5, then a couple days later I was about to go for a ride and the rear was completely flat as a pancake, so I thought bad valve stem? hole in the tube? but the psi was fine on the rear for 2 months after shop did it so can't be a hole in tube, so I thought it must be either the valve stem or that digital tire gauge I used, so I replaced the valve stem with a new one, and also I checked over my digital gauge and noticed the metal pin on it that pushes on the valve stem was out of line and loose, so I bought a new pressure gauge, pumped up the tire and checked it on Friday using this new gauge and I put 35.5 in the rear, today I checked it again (not using my expensive digital gauge anymore) and it's at 35.0 just now, does that sound like I got a leak? or should I wait a few more days and check it again. I have a sense that my expensive digital car tire pressure gauge I bought off ebay has bit the dust and is broke and side-swipped the valve stem pin to remain out of line enough to let out the air. Dunno what happened.

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 09:56 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Kawasaki Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red|Silver
Garage
Tire pressure changes with temperature. I wouldn't be concerned just yet, but I would keep an eye on it. On average, you lose about 3 PSI/month. That's considered normal. Thing to check: make sure the valve core is seated all the way. If they aren't tightened, they can lose little amounts of air.

I grabbed a fistful of throttle and all my worries disappeared.
|| Former President | Vulcan Riders Association | Chapter 1-30 ||
|| 2012 Kawasaki Nomad | EJK Fuel Controller | Vance & Hines Twin Slash Cut | Thunder Manufacturing BAK ||
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 10:08 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayes View Post
Tire pressure changes with temperature. I wouldn't be concerned just yet, but I would keep an eye on it. On average, you lose about 3 PSI/month. That's considered normal. Thing to check: make sure the valve core is seated all the way. If they aren't tightened, they can lose little amounts of air.
Did that to a friends car,took core remover and loosened up one his
took 2 days to go flat,he couldn't figure it out,I fixed it
As hayes says keep a eye on it 1/2 lb in 48hrs should'nt b a concern
Had new tires put on mine month ago and haven't even ckd pressure since

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 11:17 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Kawasaki Nomad
Color: Red|Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrider View Post
Did that to a friends car,took core remover and loosened up one his
took 2 days to go flat,he couldn't figure it out,I fixed it
As hayes says keep a eye on it 1/2 lb in 48hrs should'nt b a concern
Had new tires put on mine month ago and haven't even ckd pressure since
During the winter, put a cup of water in the tire (easier if you're mounting them). Overnight, they freeze and cause a wicked vibration. As the tires warm up, the ice melts and the vibration goes away. It's fun to watch people try to figure out what the F is going on.

Want to talk pranks? Put 1/2 an ounce of wheel weights on their driveshaft. That's a fun vibration to try and diagnose. I recommend only doing this to people you know because you might get your ass kicked...
revrider likes this.

I grabbed a fistful of throttle and all my worries disappeared.
|| Former President | Vulcan Riders Association | Chapter 1-30 ||
|| 2012 Kawasaki Nomad | EJK Fuel Controller | Vance & Hines Twin Slash Cut | Thunder Manufacturing BAK ||
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
I didn't know about the normal 3 psi loss/month, good thing you mentioned it. I checked and snugged up the new valve stem, check psi it's at 35.0, and will keep an eye on it. I like my new tire pressure gauge, bought it at NAPA and I am tossing that expensive digital one, In my humble opinion I think the depression pin on it is broken and is what caused the rear tire to go flat.

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 12:24 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayes View Post
During the winter, put a cup of water in the tire (easier if you're mounting them). Overnight, they freeze and cause a wicked vibration. As the tires warm up, the ice melts and the vibration goes away. It's fun to watch people try to figure out what the F is going on.

Want to talk pranks? Put 1/2 an ounce of wheel weights on their driveshaft. That's a fun vibration to try and diagnose. I recommend only doing this to people you know because you might get your ass kicked...
Little off subject,told a newbie at work to go get a pallet stretcher
Gone for like 1/2 hour,
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 01:57 PM

Wow, while .5PSI over 48 hours doesn't sound bad, I can say that I very rarely have to add air to my tires. Typically I'm adjusting because of changes in temperature, but for instance, I let the bike sit from December (warm 60+ degree day) to March (60+ degree day again), and had 0psi lost in 4 months!

My wife's Shadow, OTOH, loses at .5psi or more per day. I feel like I'm constantly adding air to her tires. Next time she needs tires, I'm having *my* guy do it instead of whatever shop she used lol.

-John
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
as of now, I checked my pressures again and the tubes haven't lost any air since I replaced the stem valves for new ones and began using new metal valve caps

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode