help a newbie on a few 800 issues, yes more. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

help a newbie on a few 800 issues, yes more.

so far this forum has been very helpful. you guys got my belt off, and Im back to a chain, and got rid of the afterburner thing. thanks!

next issue. the seat does not fit right. the hook and bar in the center - it does not engage, so the seat is a bit floppy. seems kawi's would have better fit and finish??

I cannot get my carb tuned to my vance and hines straightshots (w/quiet baffle) properly. I backfire on decel. real bad. the tech said he put a bigger jet in, but then leaned it way down? does that make sense? anyway, it pops bad, so I have to pull the clutch when slowing down so I doesnt make the horrible stacatto of backfiring. Is riding with the clutch FULLY engaged wearing it out? is backfiring bad for the engine? is there no hope to get these pipes tuned? if not, im going to sell them - or trade for stock pipes, im sure ill have little problem finding someone, maybe someone here??

also, another note on the carb issue. when I goose it a bit, when its in nuetral and im coasting, it dies. cant handle the quick sudden injection of gas. It feels related to the backfiring issue?

I think thats enough for this post. thanks so much everyone.

dave

Last edited by nrg2brn; 07-15-2016 at 09:56 PM. Reason: fergot somethin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 10:49 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
I think your pipes is not the problem, your problem is the carb jetting and the pilot mixture screw setting. Do you know if the tech put in a bigger main jet? or pilot jet. but then he leaned it way down, that sounds like he may have adjusted the pilot mixture screw on the underside of the carb. Is your air intake stock or free flowing? If your air intake is stock, and you have V&H pipes, all that I needed is to adjust the pilot mixture screw out about 1 turn more from stock (counter-clockwise). Stock on an 800 is 1.75 turns out on the mixture screw, so you turn it to 2.75 for pipes. If you have an after-market free flowing air intake, maybe the pilot jet was changed, the pilot jet on an 800 is a 48, even if you have a free flowing air intake, keep the 48 pilot jet in there, if the tech guy put in a 50, change it back to a 48, and the carb setting (I don't know your air intake and needle so going to give you mine) carb setting for Vance & Hines Cruzers Thunder Mfg air intake K&N filter Dynojet needle DNO106 from kit #2147 e-clip on 2nd notch from top (don't use the main jets in the kit) 170MJ 48PJ 2.75 turns on mixture screw gold air valve under gas tank (EPA stuff) removed, reed valves air intake on inside of top of both cylinders blocked/capped/ I used heater hose between both nipples and stuffed a nut and bolt inside to block air flow inside the heater hose, oh just thought of something, if those reed valves is not blocked then fresh air will mix with exhaust and when fresh oxygen mixes with unburnt fuel mixture that causes the mixture to explode inside the exhaust pipe and that causes the pop, another reason for the pop in the pipes on deceleration is you close off the throttle to decelerate and hear a pop out the exhaust, that could be either unburnt fuel in the pipes exploding or too little, if too little you need to turn the pilot mixture screw out another turn to richen (add fuel) to the pilot idle circuit, you see the pilot circuit kicks in when the throttle is closed off like when you are decelerating, if the mixture screw is too lean that will cause a pop in exhaust because the fuel mixture in the combustion chamber misfires but does fire (explode) in the pipes cause it mixes with heat and oxygen

Last edited by btom; 07-15-2016 at 10:56 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 11:01 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
I had a bike, sold it last year, but on that bike I had quiet baffles and was getting big bangs out the exhaust pipes about 3 seconds after I turned off the motor, it was really annoying, turns out my pilot mixture screw needed to be turned inwards (clockwise) to lean out the pilot circuit cause the quiet baffles was causing more backpressure inside the combustion chamber, and when I shut off the engine there was too much fuel mixture in the pipes and when it mixed with free air BANG, so turning inwards (clock-wise to lean) the screw fixed the backfires and stopped it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode