800 petcock prime my problem? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
800 petcock prime my problem?

'05 800 with a question. When I rejected my carb I had drained the gas in the carb bowl, did the change on PJ and MJ, then re-installed it, I turned the gas tank petcock to 'prime' and counted 8 seconds then turned it to 'on'. When I started my bike in neutral it idled rough and when I slowly increased throttle it labored and bogged down really bad, I had a feeling it was running too rich and blamed it on my new vn1500 dynojet needle or my 50 pilot jet or mixture screw setting at 2.5 turns. But now I am thinking, when I did the petcock prime to fill the carb bowl, did I put in too much fuel in the bowl? because I was reading that too high a fuel level in the bowl can also cause my problem. Will using petcock prime for 8 seconds cause my problem? Isn't there a shut-off valve in the carb bowl?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
In a way, yes. When fuel fills the bowl, its suppose to raise the float thus pushing down on the fliat needle closing of the port. If there is any obstruction to this float needle moving freely and fully into the seat, it will allow fue to continue filling te bowl. A float set too high will also cause this. The 8 seconds should not matter.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
I went to Russian wolf's scooterizing page and found this below, so I didn't need to count 8 seconds and turn the Prime position to On, I could have left it on Prime until the motor starts.

As the carburetor was drained of fuel, put
the fuel petcock in the “Prime” position until the motor is started the first time. Once the motor is running, return the petcock to the
“On” position.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
'05 800 classic, I haven't reinstalled the carb yet, it's still on my work bench, but I am thinking about my earlier motor running problem when I had the bike in neutral and at idle when I PRI (primed) the carb bowl for 8 seconds and then turned the petcock from PRI to ON. I am thinking of maybe 2 possible causes for the motor to run rough in neutral at idle. Not sure if it was a rich or lean condition but here's 2 possible causes. #1 is when I turned the petcock to PRI for 8 seconds then to ON, that it did not fill up the carb bowl with enough fuel and the bike was idling lean, #2 maybe the needle shut off valve inside the carb bowl is defective and it's not shutting off the fuel and the bowl is too full of gas and running rich. So before I reinstall the carb maybe I should take the bottom carb bowl off while it's on the bench and check to see if the needle valve in there is freely working in and out and not stuck. Or it could be the carb float height is out of adjustment but I wonder if that could be the cause. Oh, I just thought of another possible cause, #3 could be that considering my gas tank has a fuel capacity of 15 litres and 3 litres available on REServe, so I am wondering when I turned the petcock from PRI to ON, there was less than 3 litres in the tank and the carb bowl was running out of fuel, maybe I should try it next time turning the petcock to RES instead of ON.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 09:39 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Since its off, would not hurt to check the float hieght. If it seems ok, go ahead and install it. Turn to prime and start bike. As soon as it starts, turn to RES position. If it runs ok, let it warm up and push in enricher (choke) knob. Turn to RUN, if it starts to cutout or die, your fuel tank is low on fuel. Good luck. If it starts to run rough, try pulling choke out, if it improves, its too lean, if gets worse or dies, its too rich. Motor will have to be warmed up to do this. If I leave my choke on very long on mine, it will start to miss. Once I push choke in it takes a couple minutes for it to smooth out, usually after I give it some throttle a couple seconds. I have the same bike, grampsized intake on it.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS

Last edited by rick; 07-10-2016 at 09:44 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Garage
well thanks for the info to turn to PRIME and start bike, when started turn to RES, I am going to do that. Ok where I am at now is I have the carb on the work bench and removed the float bowl and had a look at the float and float needle valve, so I went ahead and searched youtube on how to remove the pin holding the float, found a video and saw how the guy tapped the pin from the left side, so I used a pointed driver and gave it a few good taps and off came the pin, then I removed the float and the attached valve, check out how it operates and see nothing wrong with it. So I went ahead and reinstalled the valve and float and pin tapping the pin in from the right side this time, then reinstalled the carb bowl and now the carb is ready to put back on the bike, So now I am thinking and I have an idea why my bike did not run good the 1st time, I think I messed up on putting the gas tank petcock on PRIME for 8 seconds count then turning it to ON, I got a feeling that the bowl did not fill up with fuel enough and when I had the bike running on idle it was running lean with not enough fuel in the bowl, that's my suspicions. So I will know for sure when I reinstall the carb now and gas tank and try it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode