800 belt issues - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

800 belt issues

A previous owner did the belt conversion, it broke but I have no paper work to know what kit they used or what belt to replace it with. Is there a one size fits all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 09:49 PM

ill just tell you my story, and maybe it will help, maybe it wont. I bought my 800 w/a belt kit, and it broke pretty quick. then the next one did. I learned that the kits are bad news, they never worked reliably. just to narrow for the torque signature of the engine. I broke down and did the suggested thing. I went back to chain. it cost maybe 250 or so. Im very happy with my decision. the new o ring chains are much better than the old chains. no power loss either. dang previous owners, lol
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 10:24 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
ya I would dump the belt and install sprockets and chain, the belt drive on your bike might be a Scootworks monstra belt drive, I had that on my '02 800 bike and broke/snapped 2 belts. I mean that's not safe because let's say you're on a nice long trip somewhere and having a great time and then you snap the belt, man you're screwed, I mean with a chain at least the nearest Yamaha or Suzuki or Honda bike shop can help but a belt, no way. The belts on the 800's are not strong enough for the torque. Edit: I just thought of my remark on not being safe with a belt. When I snapped my belt 1st time, I was accelerating passing a truck on the highway and snap, lost the belt and there I was half-way past the truck in the other lane, I was going fast enough that I coasted right infront of the truck and to a stop on the shoulder, I was lucky that truck slowed down and didn't hit me from behind. Talk about unsafe.

Last edited by btom; 07-15-2016 at 10:31 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for lack of update. You guys were spot on I went with old chain sprockets the bike came with and is running great.

The shop could not find a replacement belt they think a previous owner put a kit on that has been discontinued and used a random 900 belt.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 07:36 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
when I bought my '05 800 the previous owner gave me the Kawasaki owners book, but in the section where details of maintenance and modifications can be written, the whole pages were all blank. Maybe the owner didn't document what belt he installed, or maybe he didn't give you an owners book with the bike, next time if I buy another bike and the seller cannot show me detail maintenance and mod records, my purchase price offer is definitely going to be lower. if a seller wants top dollar for his bike, they should provide records , how are you to know what kind of belt you got if the seller didn't document it, it's just sloppy record keeping (End of rant)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode