New Vulcan owner. Im a little lost! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

New Vulcan owner. Im a little lost!

Just got a 2001 vulcan classic 800 off of ebay last week. Love it - or at least I think I do. this week I learned that some people remove baffles for some reason, so I have ordered them, lol. next I learned that determining the coolant levels on the 800 is a secret, and so far, I have not cracked the code. some speak of just filling it up till it is full. sounds just wrong. some others have said theres a low and high somewhere, but the descriptions weren't good enough for me to comprehend. think I got the oil down - people seem to like rotella synthetic - but does it have to be FOR motorcycles? what do you guys use? after I get it legal and lubricated, I can go from there! oh yeah...and I need tires. any advice there?
thanks guys, I hope to become learned and help others in the future, right now? I need the help...
~nrg..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 05:32 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
tires, Michelin Commander II
rad fluid 50/50 premix Honda type 2 blue at Honda car dealers, fill to top then start motor and run for about 3 minutes utill all air bubbles come out and it starts to overflow when heated, then shut off engine
oil change you can use shell rotella t 5w40 diesel or rotella 15w40, both are good, the 5w40 is not synthetic even if the jug says so, it's not
loud pipes saves lives
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 05:52 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2brn View Post
Just got a 2001 vulcan classic 800 off of ebay last week. Love it - or at least I think I do. this week I learned that some people remove baffles for some reason, so I have ordered them, lol. next I learned that determining the coolant levels on the 800 is a secret, and so far, I have not cracked the code. some speak of just filling it up till it is full. sounds just wrong. some others have said theres a low and high somewhere, but the descriptions weren't good enough for me to comprehend. think I got the oil down - people seem to like rotella synthetic - but does it have to be FOR motorcycles? what do you guys use? after I get it legal and lubricated, I can go from there! oh yeah...and I need tires. any advice there?
thanks guys, I hope to become learned and help others in the future, right now? I need the help...
~nrg..
I run bridgestones,but lots of good and better tires,Oil Has to be for m/c ,will affect clutch if not ,I run valv 10-40 full synth,All in your preference,lots of people do run Rotella ,I prefer not to,just me,50/50 coolant like stated

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 06:22 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Candy Lime Green
Garage
Rotella T6 Synthetic will not affect clutch. One of the few full synths that doesn't have the extra "slippery" additives. I have used it in 2 different bikes for over ten years total and no issues.

---------------------------------

2015 VN1700 Vaquero ABS (Green Goblin)
Long Horn Duelly Highway Pegs
Two Up Mustang Seat w/Backrests
Kuryakyn Black ISO Grips w/ Throttle Mod
Clearview Dark Smoke Windshield
Auxiliary Lights
Cyclops LED's
Passenger Floorboards
V&H Twin Slash Cuts
ThunderMfg Round Air Kit
Ivanized

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting "Holy Sh!t....what a ride!"
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 06:12 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2003 Kawasaki 800 Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 800cc
Color: Black Pearl
Garage
I'd just watched an you tube video on changing the oil and coolant, there is a cap under the speedometer to fill the coolant also. ( didn't know that). You can fill it there too.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 06:20 AM

I run Mobil one 4T ( the motorcycle oil ) full synth. No issues there
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 01:32 AM

Garage
Ok listen up - CHECK YOUR VALVE SHIM CLEARANCE OR THE MOTOR BLOWS UP. this must be done every 6000 miles. If you are not mechanical then take it in and have it done. Micheline Commander 2 tires (I have run 3 other brand and these are the best for handling and wear by far above any others) Oil use Mobile 1 4t 20-50 it actually helps the clutch grab better and live longer. Coolant, there is a vertical plastic tube under the right side of the bike behind the motor that shows the coolant level it is like the oil sight glass but it is a tube - It should be in the middle of the visible tube. YouTube has videos on the valve shim clearance and a good shim kit is available on ebay for about 50 bucks. Also you want to keep an eye on chain slack and sprocket wear. google Wolfs BIKE SITE and do some reading it has a lot of good info on mods and a great section on gearing your bike to run better smoother and at lower RPM on the freeway. Vulcan's are awesome bikes and easy to work on and fast as hell when set up right, welcome to the fray hope you have a blast and keep the handlebars in the air not on the ground.

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:14 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
the old school way to change coolant is the remove the cap then fill up with 50/50 coolant to the top and start the motor till you don't see any more bubbles (let it run for about 45 seconds to a minute) or the coolant starts to get warm and overflows the top then shut off the motor, put the cap back on, then check the reserve coolant tank tube, the coolant tube should show the tank is half full, the tube is located down on the right side behind the removable side cover

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:18 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I learned that some people remove baffles for some reason

the reason I did was to get that loud pipes sound, I want that loud Harley rumble, loud pipes saves lives, oh wait maybe not but it's a man thing

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:22 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
people seem to like rotella synthetic - but does it have to be FOR motorcycles?

rotella 5w/40 is good and I find rotella 15w/40 even better, I change out the 5w/40 sooner like maybe in 1,200 miles than I do the 15w/40 which I keep in for maybe 2,500 miles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode