fuel line hose replacement - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
fuel line hose replacement

'05 800, noticed cracks on the carb end of the fuel line so I ordered a new OEM hose and got the new hose, is it easy to replace a fuel line hose? anything I need to know about first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 05:04 PM

I corrected my valve clearance today, so I had to disconnect the main fuel line from the tank (the one that is connected straight down and has some metal wire as protection around it). Unfortunately the line ripped. At first at a 90 degree angle, then when I tried to connect the remaining line, it ripped a full 5 cm inward. So now it is useless.

I was wondering if anybody knows if silicone tubing is petrol resistant, so I could use that safely until I get a original spare part.

Thanks for info/experience if you'd share it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 07:30 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 805
Color: Blue
I use vinyl hose for draining the lawnmower oil and I'm pretty sure vinyl lines are used for small engines like weedeaters. That might work for a fuel line, just not sure how it would handle the heat. Wouldn't a regular fuel line from the auto parts store work? It wouldn't fit in the metal coil sleeve, but it should work fine for the fuel and the heat.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:52 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2005 Vulcan 800 Classic
Garage
Don't use silicone hose. Apparently it swells and can weep gas or something like that. Get a short length of fuel line from an auto parts store to use temporarily. It could work permanently, but it won't have the factory bends in it.

Never argue with a fool: onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 03:20 AM

I did exacly that! Thanks
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 08:37 PM

As I was trying to fix it with the fule line that I got (inner diameter fiiting the tap/petcock properly), I discovered that on the carburettor end, the diameter is significantly smaller, to an extent that it cannot simply be overcome with tightening a hose clamp. There is hardly any space for a hose clamp, by the way.

So I went back to the autoparts store to get a smaller size, as well as an fuel resistant adapter to be fixed between the two hoses. I decided to use a long piece of the narrow hose, and just a short part (about 6 or 7 centimeters) of the wider one that fits to the petcock. The adapter is slighty wider than the narrow one and a bit smaller than the wider one. So I end up using four clamps. One on the carburettors end, two on the adapter and one on the petcock.

It will probably do the job, but I am very much in doubt about the esthetics. If it looks bad, I am going to have to order the orginal hose, that apearantly lasts for about 20 years.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: '05
Displacement/CC's: 800
Garage
the original fuel line hose had cracks on the ends of the hose when I bought the bike in 2015, so it looks like fuel line hoses last 10 years

Thunder Mfg teardrop 40's K&N 170MJ 48PJ 2.75turns DynoJet Needle DNO106 2nd notch V&H Cruzers Aeromach risers Michelin Commander IIs Wix 51358 filter 17T/40 Sprockets, 2357 rear bulbs
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 03:41 PM

OK, then mine may have been replaced once already since my Vulcan is from '98. I'm out riding again, but the petcockside is really ugly now, with the 3 screwed on clams and the adapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode