Coolant Issue - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Coolant Issue

I have just purchased a 2001 800 classic. It has just a bit over 9000 miles on it. It is in pretty good condition. So I decided to do the usual maintenance as I figured the previous owner did not do much of anything. I started with the oil, and I was surprised by how much gas had leaked into the crankcase. I took out the carbs and I swear I have never ever seen a carb this gummed up with this much crap and junk blocking the whole darn thing. It was an absolute disaster. I cleaned up the carb. I changed the oil and put a new oil filter and now the bike runs fine. I went for a couple of rides around my neighborhood and was suprised hearing the fan going on no stop for a few minutes. So I decided to take a look at the cooling system. I took off the coolant drain plug and to my surprise, not a single drop came out. I thought maybe the coolant has leaked and nothing was left in the radiator. That could explain why the fan was running so hard and why the engine was so hot and ticking sounds were coming from it when I turned the bike off. So I took the tank off and to my surprise it was full of nice green fresh coolant. So naturally I thought it might be the pump that was not working. I cranked up the engine with the radiator cap off and was pleasantly surprised with bubbling coolant. So now I am completely puzzled: How come no coolant fluid is coming out of the drain plug? I did continue my diagnostics and took the bottom radiator hose off and coolant came gushing out. Now I am completely lost. How come no coolant is coming off the drain plug? I tried picking it with a screwdriver assuming that something was blocking it and I got nothing.
Can someone please explain to me what's going on? I have the Clymer manual and I could not find anything that covers this issue.

Thanks

Last edited by mouka; 05-17-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Update: I am a member of another forum, I asked this question and they suggested I use a small screwdriver to pop whatever gunk is blocking the drain plug, and low and behold, it worked! There was a thin film of some junk that has hardened and sealed the drain hole. A little tap with a sharp flat screwdriver did the trick.
I was able to drain it, although it did not really need it, and put fresh coolant.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 11:12 AM
Top Contributor

Probably some sort of radiator seal in there.

Be SURE and check the valve clearances.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 11:21 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
As part of the maint. change coolant every 2 years from MOM Kawi. Last change I used some of that extra mileage for alum, mite try to get 3 years before changing.

Also change out/flush brake fluid every 2 years. On my first brake fluid change 4 years, very discolored fluid, a little blackish crud. After 2 years later fluid was changing to amber. I got improved braking every time.

Get a manual if you can and follow maint. and remember mileage is under ideal conditions. A clean/well oiled machine is a happy machine.

Don't forget to inspect the valve lash, I believe the 800 uses the same shims as the 900, not sure.
Enjoy your ride & Good Luck

2007 VN 900LT
Ebony Black & Galaxy Silver

Highway bars w/pegs
Saddleman studded seat
Cobra 2 into 1 HP Pro w/peashooter tip
Luggage rack
Home brewed aux. brake light
Home brewed Leather Lowers
Highway bar Chaps
Cobra FI2000 Tri-pot
Redneck air box/K&N filter
Headlight modulator
Other stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Now onto a completely different topic. I did ride my bike today when I was doing the maintenance and noticed that at low speeds it does hesitate a lot. It almost feels like it is going to stall then it jumps forward only to slow down again and so no and so forth.
When I give it gas, it jumps forward without any hesitation.
I have just cleaned up the carbs and I was able to take the carb out and put it back without a need to loosen or tighten the screw that connects it to the intake manifold. Could that be the issue? Could it be that I have a vacuum leak that is exacerbated at low speeds and is not noticeable when I twist the throttle?
The vulcan 800 cabr has 2 jets. I cleaned both of them. The main jet, the big one, was completely gummed up but I was able to easily clean it up. The slow jet, the tiny one all the way down, had some sort of solid white substance that looked like white clay that was completely clogging the jet. I did manage to clear it up. Any suggestions as to what I could do to fix this hesitation issue?

Thanks

Last edited by mouka; 05-17-2016 at 12:14 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 12:07 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Snug the screws on the boot on both sides, being loose will cause a vacuum leak.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

How would you do it? I can't reach those darn screws.
Is there a specialty tool that would fit into that tight space and allow me to tighten those screws?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 08:59 PM

A long 3mm allen wrench.. I have a T handle one that will reach them.

1996 VN800A
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

I don't have a problem reaching the screw that secures the carb to the boot. I do have a problem reaching the screw that secures the boot to the intake manifold.
I do have long Allen wrench with a handle too. It even has the rounded edge allows one to operate the screws at an angle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode