New intake and carb work - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 1996 Kawasaki Vulcan
Displacement/CC's: 805
Color: Black
New intake and carb work

I have a 1996 vn 800a and I put a forward facing intake with a spectre filter I changed out my main jet to a 138 and my float needle to a performance needle I put the needle on the third setting down with one washer above and one below and installed iridium tip plugs and 8mm racing wires I turned out my mixture screw to 5 turns outand I drilled out the air hole for the float needle to 1/8 of an inch. My issue now is I'm still getting a lean mixture and I have an unmarked jet that came with my intake but no number or any size marking for it. Should I instal that one and I am about to move my needle down to the bottom setting for max fuel from that I don't know what else to do at this moment. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 08:15 AM

Garage
I think that i know what you are going through, as i have previously went though the same. If you bought the same forward facing intake that i did, it is more than likely poorly made. I ordered mine off Ebay with the spike tip, and replaced the tip with a UNI foam filter. I believe that there are something like 3 pieces of chrome metal that you are supposed to assemble? When i went to put these pieces together there were noticeable gaps where there was metal on metal contact, thus allowing for extra air to enter the intake. Hence, more air=lean condition. It would hardly idle, and after any throttle, it would die. I had bought the kurakyn jet kit, as i found that it came with a 165 main, and 50 pilot, which is the ideal jetting after an intake and exhaust mod (Russian wolf). To prevent extra air from entering the intake, i ordered gasket material, and made gaskets for the metal-to-to metal connections that were present on the intake. I believe that i put my clip on the 2 or 3rd position from the top (whatever Russian wolf suggests), and now it runs like a champ. When you say that you have a 138 main, i am guessing that is a dynojet sizing, which may be different, and i think has been discussed before. Idle screw should be out to about 2.5 turns, so it you have it at 5, theres a problem...

If there are gaps in the intake conncetions i would make gaskets, and make sure there are no leaks where the carb conncetions to the intake boot, and the intake. Just curious, what spectre filter did you use??
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

I noticed the gaps when I assembled it so I put the black high temp oil resistant rtv in to make gaskets and it's perfect there I used a blue spectre 8 inch cold air I believe and yes I got the Dinojet kit and the bike runs fine now it just lags and coughs on hard acceleration and backfires when you let off not just normal popping I'm getting some larger jets and I'm going to clean the carb and do the egr delete

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 01:21 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
See chart for jet size comparesom. Was told by a local shop that if you need to go more than 3 turns out on idle mixture screw, go up in pilot jet size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jet_Numbers_Cross_Reference_Sheet-_zpsd2c083ca.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	160802  

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

I downloaded that chart before but I want to get a mikuni 165 and a 55 pilot just gotta order them I just haven't gotten good feed back on the size until now and I looked up the what the Russian wolf said and just finally found it
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 11:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch121612 View Post
I downloaded that chart before but I want to get a mikuni 165 and a 55 pilot just gotta order them I just haven't gotten good feed back on the size until now and I looked up the what the Russian wolf said and just finally found it
are sure that you mean mikuni jet? or keihin?

2001 Vulcan 800A
Vance and Hines straight shots w/ baffles
16" chrome apes
EPA delete
Custom air intake
Jetted: 165 main, 50 pilot
Manual petcock
Cobra backrest
HID headlight
Flyscreen
ISO grips
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

The mikuni would give me the most fuel so probably that one but which one did your kit come with I did a couple mods to catch up a little because of all of this because I'm going to be riding her a lot soon and in a few months I'm trailering her to new York and riding her back so I need to make sure she's running top knotch and a little rich for ram air conditions at 70 to 85 mph most of the way
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 11:40 PM

Garage
mine can with the keihin 165, along with a 170, 175, and 180. Since i put baffles in my exhaust i didn't need the bigger jet sizes. I dont get too bad of a ram air effect with mine but a cross wind will sometimes make it sputter. When it does that i pull the choke, and it stops. I have found a couple places that if the carb bowl vent is directed the the intake then the pressure of the bowl will be sufficient so the ram air effect will go away.

2001 Vulcan 800A
16" chrome apes
EPA delete
Custom air intake
Manual petcock
Cobra backrest
HID headlight
Flyscreen
ISO grips
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Very well but question are you still running copper plugs because I'm running a mid to hot irridium plug with a high performance race wire just wondering if you think that would effect it but do you have a link for a pilot jet because I can't find any except the stock one for this carb
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 08:03 AM

Garage
i am running the stock wires and just regular plugs. Im not sure if that would make a difference, but i don't really think that it would. My 50 pilot jet came with my kurakyn jet kit, and im guessing you dont want to buy the whole kit to get it. There is a website Jets R Us mikuni, keihin, hitachi, holley, jets and carb parts that sell individual jets for our carb. The site says that they are genuine jets that should work the carb. I personally have never went though this site before, but they seem like they know their shit.

2001 Vulcan 800A
16" chrome apes
EPA delete
Custom air intake
Manual petcock
Cobra backrest
HID headlight
Flyscreen
ISO grips
Sponsored Links