Front tire recommendations - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Front tire recommendations

I have a í96 Vulcan and I think itís a ďclassicĒ?? Itís the one with the drag style bars and the skinny front tire. Iím really not up to speed (no pun intended) on this bike, itís still very new to me. The front tire needs to be replaced; really sad, itís a good tire (Metzler) and one half is nearly new and the other half is worn nearly bald. If they had balanced the tire, it would be in near new condition, really too bad. Anyhow, that tire needs to be replaced.

Iím on a VERY tight budget, so Iím looking for a good competent tire that wonít break the bank. I donít know what size it is (did I read somewhere itís a 21Ē wheel?). After riding, I can see that Iím not in need of a high performance tire, because the Vulcan 800 isnít exactly what one would call a corner carver. So Iím just looking for a good quality all weather front tire to replace the damaged one. It would be nice if I could get the whole thing mounted and balanced for around $100, but Iím really not sure how doable that really is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black
Garage
You local dealer could probably put a stock Dunlop on it for under $100. You'd have to pull the tire and wheel and take it in to them though.

Not a tough job. Use your car jack and a 2x4 to lift the front, just be careful with the balance and not to knock the bike over. Maybe get someone to hold the bike while removing and installing the tire if you're not able to tie it down somehow.

You may get some comments about the 800 not being "what one would call a corner carver." LOL!

Keep the Shiny Side Up!
'09 900 Custom SE on the Darkside
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helek_52 View Post
You may get some comments about the 800 not being "what one would call a corner carver." LOL!
Well, Iím new to the whole cruiser world, and in the cruiser world it may in fact be a corner carver. But I come from Japanese sport bikes so my idea of ďcorner carverĒ may differ greatly from someone who lives in the world of classic style cruisers.

You know, at first, I really didnít like the Vulcan 800 because Iím so used to riding something completely different (Iíve been away from street bikes for over 15 years). In fact, after riding it, I sort of fell in love with riding again, but thought Iíd probably sell the Vulcan and get something more my style. But the more I ride the Vulcan 800, the more Iím really liking itÖIím starting to get the whole cruiser thing. So now Iím thinking I need a sport bike, and probably keep my Vulcan for nice easy rides.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3030a1 View Post
I have a ’96 Vulcan and I think it’s a “classic”?? It’s the one with the drag style bars and the skinny front tire. I’m really not up to speed (no pun intended) on this bike, it’s still very new to me. The front tire needs to be replaced; really sad, it’s a good tire (Metzler) and one half is nearly new and the other half is worn nearly bald. If they had balanced the tire, it would be in near new condition, really too bad. Anyhow, that tire needs to be replaced.

I’m on a VERY tight budget, so I’m looking for a good competent tire that won’t break the bank. I don’t know what size it is (did I read somewhere it’s a 21” wheel?). After riding, I can see that I’m not in need of a high performance tire, because the Vulcan 800 isn’t exactly what one would call a corner carver. So I’m just looking for a good quality all weather front tire to replace the damaged one. It would be nice if I could get the whole thing mounted and balanced for around $100, but I’m really not sure how doable that really is.
May I suggest that you consider Avon Venom , & if you can change it yourself , the very BEST price would be from www.jakewilson.com . Likely under $100
Ive run Dunlop, Bridgstone, Metzler & Avon,on my V2K's, and none have matched the Avon for durability & handling. The Avons are a wee bit more $ but well worth the extra ,as it will be cheaper in the LONG run! Avons have ONE negative , Never "jump" on the throttle or brake until you have some heat built up in the tire, as they can break free. Once they are warmed up {5 mi or so} , they stick like glue!!!!!!
BTW , Ive have ALWAYS found that the bike handles MUCH better if I change them both at the same time, or at the very least use same brand front & rear & NEVER , EVER mix radial & bias. For my V2K , Metzlar does NOT make a front radial , but they do make a rear radial. When I called Metzlar on it, THEY suggested its ok to mix ??? WRONG !!!! NO ITS NOT!!!! Bike handled like crap!!!! had to replace BOTH very early!!!
Rule of thumb here. DO NOT SKIMP on TIRES, if your life isnt worth two tires , then sell the bike!!! You get few second chances on a motorcycle with tire failure!!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Rkd2.3

Yeah I agree about not skimping, that’s not what I’m looking to do.

Like I said, I just got this bike. The rear tire can’t have more than a couple hundred miles on it, it is pretty much new, so I’m not going to plunk down for both when I don’t have to. Putting a new tire on one side and having one half way worn on the other side doesn’t make sense, but neither does throwing away a new tire.

I can certainly change the tire myself, no problem there; I’m a motorcyclist from way back. And even though I haven’t been riding a street machine for the past 15 years, I’ve always had bikes in the garage, dirt, quads, and dual sports. I have a lot of miles in the saddle whether it be on road or off, and I have a bionic knee as a result of motorcycling.

My best is, this bike had a fully trashed rear tire and they put a new one on before selling, feeling they could get by with the front. And it “gets by” but not all that well. When I change the front tire, I plan on pulling the rear wheel off and taking both in for a balance job. There are wheel weights on the spokes of the rear tire, but that’s no guarantee that it’s truly balanced. On this used bike, I’m of the opinion that if I didn’t do it, then it hasn’t been done right. So this winter every drop of every fluid gets changed and the whole bike gets a good going over.

But today, it’s in the mid 50’s, so I may just have to pull her out and run up and down the highway a couple of times.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 12:57 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3030a1 View Post
I have a í96 Vulcan and I think itís a ďclassicĒ?? Itís the one with the drag style bars and the skinny front tire. Iím really not up to speed (no pun intended) on this bike, itís still very new to me. The front tire needs to be replaced; really sad, itís a good tire (Metzler) and one half is nearly new and the other half is worn nearly bald. If they had balanced the tire, it would be in near new condition, really too bad. Anyhow, that tire needs to be replaced.

Iím on a VERY tight budget, so Iím looking for a good competent tire that wonít break the bank. I donít know what size it is (did I read somewhere itís a 21Ē wheel?). After riding, I can see that Iím not in need of a high performance tire, because the Vulcan 800 isnít exactly what one would call a corner carver. So Iím just looking for a good quality all weather front tire to replace the damaged one. It would be nice if I could get the whole thing mounted and balanced for around $100, but Iím really not sure how doable that really is.
You dont have a "classic". The 800 with the 21 inch front wheel is just known as the 800A model.
The classic is an 800B model and has front and rear wheels the same size as well as a few other differences.

the 800A is much faster than you think. For a v twin it revs very high, up to 7,500 rpm, and has a rev limiter built in, so give it a squirt in a straight line one day. You WILL be grinning by the time you get into third.

In what way is "half the tyre worn out"?
one side?
in patches?

one sided would indicate uneven suspension. drain out the oil and replace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode