New to me Voyager, story and thoughts... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

New to me Voyager, story and thoughts...

Been riding an 04 Victory Kingpin which I bought new. Has 52000 miles on her and I love the bike. Was working on bagging it, already has a batwing with tunes, hard bags, a Champion tour pack. The plan was to roll to the 100K mark which the Vic will do easily but, made the mistake of looking at the true baggers out there. Wanted a frame mounted fairing so Road Glide or Voyager.

Was ready to pull the trigger on an 06 RG with 8000 miles, clean, cruise and that was it. Looked at a 2011 Voyager at a stealer with 12000 miles on it. Was less than impressed. It was loaded all the gizmo's, piped etc. Ran like crap and back fired a ton. Did the research here and at other Kaw forums and figured the 2011 was not tuned right the asking price was up there, shy of $15K.

Kept looking and about a month ago finally found a virtually new 09 with rear speakers, IPod dock and bag liners, 2250 miles on it. Rode it, ran good everything worked. Long story involving the evil "marriage" word etc... Gave a bit over $9K. Picked up a few days before a 10 day family trip to SD, Wyoming and Colorado. Home now for 5 days and been riding the crap out of it. Already up to 3400 miles and very happy so far. My thoughts and where I'm headed...

Likes-
Best looking bagger imho out there. Blue/Black is spectacular.
Rides nice, handles way better than expected.
Clutch is good.
Radio is good. Just picked up a donor Ipod nano which I'm figuring out.
Cruise is a nice feature and easy to use.
Stock seat is comfy and daughter loves the passenger space.
Added the Grasshopper drivers backrest.
Tons of storage
Outstanding headlight and spots.
All in all very impressed.

Dislikes-
Tranny is clunky. (not a real concern just oh well)
Belt squeal. (easy enough, will adjust it out)
Heat as expected. (Stage 1 tune and see what we have)
Windshield is ginormous. (Adj windshield 8"-12" on the way from a member here, thank you)
Slight hesitation with throttle. (RacinRay mod someday)

My only concern is the inner fairing and potential for cracking as it does seem to flex under acceleration or running down the bumpy back country roads / M highways with the road heaves. Heard of a few that have actually cracked but really not much I can do about it proactively.

Where I'm headed...
Going stage 1... V&H slash cut, PCV and Chucksters air intake within the next two weeks.

Beyond my recap I wanted to throw a Thankyou out to the members here for the education and input that assisted with the decision.

No, the Kingpin is not for sale, will never sell it.
BUT, my 99 Titan Gecko may go...

Pics after I get off my lazy rear and post them,...

Thanks again..

gb

PS, anyone know how I go about changing my handle...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Welcome to the forum. Have had my 2012 for about 5 1/2 weeks now and loving it. Was surprised at how quickly I adjusted to the weight difference from my 800b. Have seen on here that the stock rear tire doesnt last much past 6000, so may keep an eye on that, already looking to order a commander II in the next couple weeks, have 3700 on it now, seems to still have decent tread. Upgradeing to Polk DXi521 speakers is popular here also, many using a Rockford Fosgate amp. I think I'll try the speakers before long, I only have the fronts on mine.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Welcome and I too have a 09. It's a keeper.
When you get the PCV in, let me know and I'll send you my proven map to use,

Contact the admin about your handle change. Just send him a message at this link.
https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/member.php?u=13760

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 07:41 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Kawasaki/Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: RED
Garage
Got a PCV for your bike new send me a pm if interested.
Bruce
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Top Contributor

Always works out that once I buy new the item I just bought I can find elsewhere used and cheaper...

V&H slip ons installed today... I'm a V&H biggot and the pipes are exactly what I expected. Sound is great. Install was ez. A tiny bit of pop on decel 2000-2200 rpm range. Seems snappier and I can hear it.

The BaggerShield 8-12" installed (from new kaw) is better quality than stock and will be a good fit for summer! Tad to short for the fall, probably need to get a 16" or cut down the stock windsail...

Loosened up the drive belt. Had no play in at all. Set it like I do the Kingpin.. about a half inch or so of deflection center of belt. Belt whine is gone.

Email to chucksters for the intake/PVC effort. Hopefully within the next few days.

Ordered kury longhorn trident hi-way pegs.

May look for a trunk rack but have not seen one I like yet.

Spending $$$ is pretty much done now... With what I paid for the bike I've been able to do all the upgrade work with cash!

Nice bike, like it more the more I ride it... 1300 miles since picking it...

gb

Gary

SW Michigan

2009 Kawasaki Voyager
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode