how easy to drill out baffles?? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

how easy to drill out baffles??

I have a 2011 Vaquero 1700. Looking for some inforamtion on drilling out the exhaust baffels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 07:25 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Do a search on this forum. There's several threads and many post on that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter
Old 07-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Top Contributor

A buddy of mine has a 2011 and he tried to debaffle his stock pipes and screwed them up, he ended up ordering a set of Cobra Tri-ovals. Some have done it and had success and like it. If you do try it and don't like it or mess them up, I do have a set of stock with about 4k on them I'll sell to replace them. Good luck!

2012 GREEN/BLACK VAQUERO

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
Thunder mfg Tornado air intake
Thunder mfg Throttle Body Gasket

Last edited by diehard rider; 07-28-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I just did mine on a 1700 voyager. I should post the pics I took at some point. It wasn't hard but there are a few things to consider.

If you use the pilot bit and go through the second baffle it will likely hit the catalytic converter and muck it up a bit. I couldn't avoid that on mine but it doesn't seem to affect the ride and nobody sees it anyway.

If you don't use the bit you'll need a magnetic retrieval tool to fish out the baffles once you cut them out. Without the right mag bit you might not be able to get the second ones fished out.

And finally, you may still have to fish out the baffles once they come loose. I only managed to get two out without fishing. The worst was the second baffle by the converter. It can and will likely fall into the muffler at that point and my main mag tool didn't have enough gusto to get it out. I didn't want it rattling around so I found a smaller magnet and taped it tightly to the end of a coat hanger and after about 20 minutes managed to fish that one out.

Not much else to it. As others have said it's slightly louder with a deeper more mellow tone. Still not going to wake up granny when you're next to her on the interstate.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:46 AM

Sharpen up some rebar on a blade sharpening wheel to a somewhat sharp point (or best as a sharp point you can make) place in pipe until you feel first baffle wall. Use a hammer and start tapping on it until you start a puncture hole. Also I used a hole saw with 12" extensions "hammer drill". Put some motor oil on hole saw bit to keep cooled. Use extension magnet to remove pieces of metal left behind.

Also used a 6' metal rock pole which is pretty heavy and rammed into drilled through holes to open hole up more. Repeat same process with second baffle. There are 2 baffles in each muffler (VN1700 classic pipes) going through rear, and 1 in front after you remove mufflers. You'll have to remove muffler in order to get front baffles. You get better stability busting through rear baffles with mufflers left on. I left my tips on and didn't mess with tearing apart rivots and plates. Gives the pipes a stock look and unmodified detection. I personally do not like the look of having that big of a muffler with a 2-3" opening by removing actual baffle, so by punching through the center walls you can achieve a 1" straight flow.

I drilled through the cats on each muffler and removed them. Hole saw took most scrap of honey cone out, extension magnet retrieved smaller pieces left behind. Used air line to blow out more scrap.

You will notice a more aggressive deeper note once completed, and as long as you don't mess around with air intake by using a more free flowing filter, you won't need a tuner for it. I noticed an immediate jump in MPG's after drilling through the baffles. Went from 35.6 to 39.9 MPG's after 10 miles or more or riding. Also sound can be heard from over 1.5 miles away after mod, much more deeper, aggressive sound. However it did take some miles after mod to get to the deeper note, as remaining busted up walls start heating up and allow more flow to go through as well as sound.

It is kinda labor intensive to bust through those walls, especially when I had to hold that heavy 6' rock pole which is like 40 lbs or heavier.

Friend of mine has the cobras on his Voyager and my stock pipes give out a deeper note then his, but not by that much. So you do save $$ vs buying cobra slip ons. Vance and Hines I can't comment about, have yet to find a Vulcan with them on to make a comparison in person, not by watching a video online.

When you take off mufflers to do the front baffle walls, make sure you place mufflers upright and allow them to rest on something soft. I used a pillow from a lawn chair to ensure they would not get scratched and held them tight so they wouldn't have a chance of separation when drilling and banging the rebar through them. I re sharpened rebar several times during this mod. It's best if you have an extra set of hands to hold mufflers securely while you bang through front walls.

Now the cat sits in where pipe angles a little inside, so removing all of the cat is kinda tricky and extracting the drilled out pieces. Unless your state has emission testing (mine doesn't) you might want to leave cat in?? You will notice that you will feel exhaust pressure come out more powerful at least 6' away from pipe. It won't make it sound obnoxiously loud where you have wake the dead pipes, just a nice deeper rumble the way a single crank pin V twin is suppose to sound like give or take.

2011 VN1700 Classic.
Cobra Speedsters
Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro Tune
K&N Air Filter
Mustang Sport Touring Seat - Studded
Slipstreamer Stealth Windshield
Kawasaki Engine Cover Trim
Sissy Bar Studded Backrest & Luggage Rack
Kuryakyn ISO Deluxe Brake Pedal Pad
Kuryakyn Flamed Floorboard Cover
Kuryakyn Adjustable Cruise Peg
Kuryakyn ISO Large Male Mount Pegs
6,000K Xenon HID Kit
Carroll Leather Saddlebags
Wolo Bad Boy horn
Old 07-29-2013, 03:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW1700 View Post
I have a 2011 Vaquero 1700. Looking for some inforamtion on drilling out the exhaust baffels.
The baffle plates are very easy to drill out using a 1-1/4" Diameter BI-METAL Hole Saw and an extension or two.

However, the Mufflers are not so easy to fix if you do not like the results
On a small number of bikes a decel chirp can result from debaffling, and on many you will now hear decel popping.

That said, I would like to know if anyone would sell me their Unmodified Classic Mufflers, provided they are in good shape.

If you live within Southern Ontario I will pick them up. If you are in the continental United States, I will pay for shipping provided the total bill is reasonable and they are shipped well-protected.

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2013, 04:53 PM
hamster

hi
I opened my exhaust, drill with a 1 1/4 ".
the sound is darker, but not much louder.

I have opened an exhaust system of a voyager. there you can see how the exhaust system is built inside.
it is an exhaust system with catalytic converter.
there are also exhausts in the U.S. without catalyst?
maybe can help to change the original exhaust system.
here are a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	auspuff1.jpg
Views:	913
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	41218   Click image for larger version

Name:	auspuff2.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	41226   Click image for larger version

Name:	auspuff3.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	41234   Click image for larger version

Name:	auspuff5.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	41250   Click image for larger version

Name:	auspuff6.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	41258  

Last edited by hamster; 07-31-2013 at 07:47 AM.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:41 PM

vance & hines

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW1700 View Post

I installed V&H slash cuts they sound great
Old 07-31-2013, 02:48 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black & silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
hi
I opened my exhaust, drill with a 1 1/4 ".
the sound is darker, but not much louder.

I have opened an exhaust system of a voyager. there you can see how the exhaust system is built inside.
it is an exhaust system with catalytic converter.
there are also exhausts in the U.S. without catalyst?
maybe can help to change the original exhaust system.
here are a few pictures.

Pics don't open
Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 AM
hamster

sorry,
Now, the image should be visible

Sponsored Links
Advertisement